Chapter 47

Toni

I woke up and slipped away from a sleeping Jan at the sound of my own stomach growling. I was still a little embarrassed, especially since we never came back to join the rest of the crew as we'd promised. But I would have to show my face at some point. I peeked my head out the door to catch a glimpse of Gil and 2 other dancers congregated right in front of the mini fridge, casually chatting.

"Come on, Toni Braxton. We heard it all, girl. You can't hide," Gil said just as I was closing the door back. I sighed and emerged completely, walking shamefully to the little kitchen area. "Don't be embarrassed. Jan's been talking about boning you like that for weeks now."

I almost choked on my grape. "She what?"

"When I tell you we don't keep secrets around here, I mean it. You'd be surprised the things you learn about people." He sipped his tomato juice casually.

"What else has she said about me?" I asked skeptically. I didn't think she was putting all my business out there, but I had to be sure.

"Relax, nothing too bad," Ami chimed in. "But listen, these walls are paper thin. So she couldn't have said anything you didn't already just say for yourself."

"Oh my God..." I put my head in my hands. This was such a mess.

"Toni, you have nothing to be ashamed of. We're all just jealous that you can get some and we can't." Gil shrugged his shoulders.

"True that."

"But let me say this," he leaned in closer to me. "I've known J for a lot of years. Seen her with a lot of different men. But you are really, really special to her, okay? She is so in love with you."

I smiled and looked away. "You think so?"

"It's a no-brainer. She's gonna keep you around, and if she doesn't, I'd be extremely surprised. You'd have to fuck up really bad to get rid of her."

"I'd never hurt her."

"I know," he said, putting his hand on top of mine. "I know you wouldn't. But I'm just letting you know, because she's been hurt a lot of times. You know that. And she's always a little skeptical when someone else comes along, but she has been all in since day one with you, honey. Since Wissam. Even though she treated you like shit and was seeing you both, I knew exactly who it was gonna be in the end."

"And just who was it going to be in the end?" Janet came up behind me and hugged my waist. I felt hot.

"Nothing, we were just chatting."

"About?" She kisses my neck. I squirmed.

"Your surprise party, now hush." Gil waved it off. "Besides, it's getting kind of late. Y'all should actually try to get some sleep this time, you especially, Jan."

Ami raised his eyebrows and sipped his tea through the straw, looking the other way.

"I'm not tired."

"After the way you two were going at it, you should be dead." Ami said. Gil chuckled. Janet squeezed me tighter.

"That's enough. What we do in there is none of your business, okay, Señor Velazquez? No me quierés hablar de anoche y esa mujer..."

His face got red. "You saw that?"

"Please, I saw your crazy sneakers a mile away in that bathroom stall."

"Since when do you speak Spanish, Jan?" I inquired. I couldn't follow this. It was like a tense tennis match.

"Siempre. Tú solamente no sabes."