Chapter 43

Janet

That show couldn't be over fast enough. I was a wreck for a good 5 minutes after Toni left and I couldn't seem to get over it for anything.
When I finally waved my goodbyes and took my last bow, I practically sprinted off the stage, and there she was waiting for me. I felt like crying again. But I tried to keep it together.

"Janet Jackson, that was one hell of a show," she said. Her arms were crossed and she tried to hide the wide grin on her face as best she could. I just shook my head, making my way towards her.

"If you ever try to to embarrass me like that on stage again, Toni, so help me-" she pulled me close to her and kissed my lips. I heard some people whistling at us. I dragged her in the direction of my dressing room and locked the door behind us. I just needed this moment alone with her. The show was over.

She sat down on a clear spot on the vanity and I stood between her legs, holding her face tight in my hands and pressing my lips hard against her own. Toni pulled me into another embrace and my eyes started to sting again at that familiar vanilla scent lingering from her body. This was her. I couldn't believe it.

"I missed you too fucking much," I squeaked.

"I missed you more, Janet Jackson. I swear to God I missed you more."

"I'm so happy you're here." I pulled back and she wiped my tears away. Why was it that she never cried? I was a waterfall the moment I saw her on the stage. I couldn't help it.

"Look at you, my God..." She studied my blotchy face. I bashfully ran my hands up and down her thighs, looking down at her particularly sexy outfit.

"No, you, damn..." I checked out her body. "You look so good." It made me excited to see her in the outfit that I bought her for tonight. I hoped she liked it.

"Thank you." Her cheeks flushed and I pinched one between my fingers.

We looked at each other forever and said nothing at all, just trying to take it all in. It probably seemed so dramatic, but I had never been so attached and in love with someone the way I was with Toni, and if I'm honest with myself, I was almost miserable without her this whole month. Touring was only a distraction, but It didn't completely masque the longing.

"Oh my God, Jan, what's going on tonight that you dropped all that money on my outfit?!" She pushed me away and hopped off the vanity. "It's stunning, but Jesus, what is the occasion? I feel like I need to keep the tags on it."

"Just a little get together. As a matter of fact, we should probably start getting dressed. Preston's gonna do your makeup."

"This seems like way more than a little get together."

"Just put it on and shut up. You're gonna have a good time tonight." I pulled my dress from a bodybag in my suitcase. "I'm gonna go shower on the bus, do you want to come with? You probably already took a shower."

"Yeah, I can just hang out in here." She plopped down on the couch, and it reminded me of that first night she saw the show and came backstage. What started it all. I smiled.

"What?" She asked, taking her heels off.

"Nothing.... Okay, I won't be long, I'm gonna get Preston in here to get started on you."

When I got back, he was already just finishing up, and Toni's face was mesmerizing as we caught eyes in the mirror. I didn't think she could get any sexier until now.

"Bra-vo, Preston..." I trailed, getting closer to them. He smiled as he smoothed the bronzing powder over her cheeks. I couldn't wait for her to put the dress on; for me to take it off.