Chapter 53: Part II

Janet

Tension was high as everybody came to sit down at the table once getting the food. I watched Toni carefully for any minimal sign that told me I would have to step in, but she was staying rather quiet and submissive as the sisters made small talk with one another. I would catch her making glances over at her mother who stood stiff as a statue as one of the women would cater to her so she wouldn't have to get up. But not Toni. She knew to keep her distance, for now.

Needless to say, I was ready to eat. And so was everyone else. As I went to pull Toni's chair out, she paused. "How could we forget drinks?" She said, smacking her thighs.

  "Don't worry, honey. I'll get glasses and everything. You just sit down. I got it," I told her gently. "It's the red wine in the cooler, right?" I called behind me.

  "Yeah. And you know where the glasses are."

  "Yes."

  "Thank you, baby," she said to me. I smiled. But the air in the kitchen immediately thickened at her nickname for me. To me, it sounded so natural, so loving. I guess not to everybody else.  Someone cleared their throat. I turned around to see the ladies waiting patiently for me to return.

  "Oh, you guys don't have to wait, I'll be right over. Go head, before it gets cold." I opened up the cabinet in search for the wine glasses. She had about four different sets, all just out of my reach.

  "No, we'll wait." It sounded like Towanda, but I wasn't sure.

I stood on my tip toes to try and grab them, but to no avail. I didn't even know why she kept them so high; it wasn't like she could reach them either.

  "Jan-"

Toni came up behind me and pulled me away from the counter by the waist. "Step stool. Right here." She grabbed it with her foot from under the counter. I put my face in my hand and laughed. She put her arm around my shoulder and chuckled with me. "Go sit down, I got it. Thank you, Jan," she said, kissing my temple and sending me on my way. I was extremely embarrassed.

  "They would make some midget babies," Trina said under her breath as she ate.

  "Trina, they can't—never mind... so, uh, Janet-"

  "Hey, did you move the stemless ones somewhere?" Toni called as she rummaged through the cabinet.

  "No, they're right in front. Next to the crystal."

  "Oh, I need my glasses back on."

I was happy she chimed in when she did. I didn't like where this was headed already. I picked at my food, but still opted to wait until Toni came back.

  "Tamar, I love your necklace," I said trying to divert the attention.

  "Thank you, Ms. Jackson, my Teddy got this for me yesterday." She clutched her neckline.

  "Janet is really okay," I assured.

  "Yeah, Tamar," Traci said. "Even I knew to call her that."

  Trina snickered. Toni couldn't get back fast enough. All of these women had me feeling so out of place. I was used to sitting around a table with all guys. I wasn't so familiar with the banter of five sisters. It was different.

  "Mommy can't drink, can she?" Towanda asked as Toni came back with six empty glasses placed carefully on a tray. I reached behind me and grabbed the bottle of wine off the nearest counter. This wouldn't be nearly enough.

  "No, she can't. You tryna kill Miss Evelyn." Tamar moved her glass away and frowned.

  "I didn't know."