Chapter 16

🚨 aye dis a long ass chapter 🚨

Babyface

Driving to the studio for rehearsals, I was kind of feeling myself. Fresh haircut, new shoes, crisp jacket, and best of all: I was going to see Toni today.

We hadn't talked since that night we fooled around, but I'd already decided that I would act like it never happened. For now, at least. The tension is already too high between us.

Ever since I'd come to the conclusion about her and Janet, it only made me want her more, and I was prepared to do whatever it took to make her mine.

I pulled my car into the space right beside hers and walked inside. There she was, sitting on a high stool in front of her mic, humming a tune while the musicians practiced on their own. It was so candid--so her-- I had to smile to myself. It was the little things.

"Toni, hey," I greeted her. Her short self hopped off the stool to hug me. She didn't seem uncomfortable, not yet, which was a good sign that she would be more susceptible to my game.

"You're losing weight, Toni," I stated curtly. I didn't ask her if she was; there was a reason behind that; and she immediately looked down at herself, smiling.

"You think so? Maybe these pants are a little loose."

"I know you are. I can see it."

"Thanks, Face. Come on, we got a lot to get though." She went back to her stool, not phased at all. So, this would be a process. But I kind of had all the time in the world.

Rehearsals went smoothly; I tried to be more or less myself, but dropping little hints that I hoped she noticed. She didn't act any different toward me, but that didn't mean much. I'm sure it was chipping away at the surface.

Rehearsals ended, and we talked outside like we usually did afterwards.

"So, you keep shooting me down, when are we gonna get together?" I asked. Maybe it was shady. I didn't care.

"I'm sorry, Face. I've just been catching up with Janet, you know, it's been at least ten years since we've seen each other."

'Catching up'. Mhm.

"Oh, I understand."

"Yeah, but maybe once her boyfriend gets back in town, we can do something. Is that fair enough?"

"Fair enough." I nodded my head with a tight smile. This was going to be so good. So far, everything was working in my favor.

"Okay, well I gotta run, but I'll talk to you later. See ya." She gave me a quick hug and a peck to the side of my face. I moved so she could get in her car, and watched her pull into the street.

The wheels were turning in my head. There was absolutely no way I was going to lose her, and especially not to Janet. Maybe I had to be low and dirty. But maybe I didn't care.

Janet

"Please, Jan, I'll be home in 5 minutes." Toni begged on the phone. Wissam was going to be home in less than 2 hours. Was I excited? To be honest, I did miss him, but his company rather than his body. He was a good man, and I still loved him. It was just a little different now. He wasn't the only one. Was that so wrong?

"I just wanna talk! I promise I'll be out of your way before he even gets into the subdivision."

I looked around nervously. Its not like I was doing anything else; it was just a lot hurrying up and waiting. Anxiety.

Finally, I sighed and agreed. Toni squealed on the other end. Of course I was going to say yes. I wanted her around every chance I could get.

"I'll be there in thirty minutes."