Chapter 48

Janet

The following weeks touring all of Europe with my team and with my baby were an absolutely dream come true. Everybody was becoming so close to one another as if Toni were the glue that we needed to make us totally inseparable.  She was the life of the party most nights after shows and in between. She knew exactly how to make everyone laugh, come out of their shells, and share things that they never thought they would. It just made  me love her that much more, watching her interact with the kids and Gil. There was never a dull moment from that first day we stepped on that tour bus almost 5 weeks ago now.

  And that's why it was so hard to believe that tonight was the last show of the entire tour. Time really does fly. It was a lot of work, sweat, and focus, but it'd been the most fun I'd ever had on the road. All thanks to Toni. I was very sad to leave everyone after this night, but at least she was coming home with me. And I couldn't wait to relax with her and spend as much time as possible in the comfort of my home that I missed so much.

  "Alright, you guys..." I looked around the circle at my crew as we joined hands in prayer. Toni was on one side of me, and Gil was on the other. "The last one, let's make it the best one, okay?"

They whooped. "Thank you all so much, for a fantastic, successful tour. I've had so much fun, and I love you so much. For your dedication, your laughter, and your friendship. It means so much to me." I felt a lump in my throat and Toni squeezed my hand.

  "Girl, don't mess up my makeup," Preston called behind me. Everyone laughed.

  "I'm trying, Pres," I responded. "Alright, let's kick some ass, y'all. One last time." 

We bowed our heads and I led us in the traditional prayer that we always did. I could hear the crowd screaming my name and it made the blood in my veins run hot and fast. I was ready. I was happy. And it was time.

  "Amen," we said in unison, and then the kids went to their places. Toni held tightly onto my hand.

   "Hey, wait." She called. I turned to face her, already blushing from the way she was looking at me. She fixed a stray hair in my face. "Kick ass for me, okay? Make sure of it."

  "Don't I always?" I teased. She narrowed her eyes with a smile and kissed me.

  "Yeah, you do, but I just wanted to be sure. Good luck." She squeezed my torso lovingly, then straightened my clothes back out. "I love you."

  "I love you."

  I ran to my spot just as it was time for me to sing. The curtain was still closed, so I glanced over at Toni and raised my eyebrows at her with a smile. She laughed and shook her head, turning to leave. There were few nights that I was actually punctual to my own show. And tonight was no different.

  The crowd was rambunctious when my platform rose up through the stage and I was faced with thousands of people. I felt connected to them, moreso than ever, and my body seemed light as a feather as I strutted back and forth for the first up-tempo sequence. Everybody was engaged and happy, singing along, making me feel so special. The band and my dancers were extra tight. Nothing topped this performance thus far. This is the kind of perfection we'd been working for all the time, and at the last show we could finally accomplish it.

  I looked out into the sea of people as they applauded us about three quarters through. I could feel myself choking up once again from all of their support. It was so loud that I couldn't keep going even if I wanted to. And as I continued to scan each row as far as I could see, Toni was right there, front and center. It felt like I could hear her over everybody else. I smiled widely at her and she gave me a heart sign high over her head. I giggled bashfully and reciprocated before wiping my eyes and turning around to face the band, giving them a sign to keep it going.