Chapter 31

Janet

  Toni was nearly pacing the floor, nervous about what people would say about us. It didn't bother me, I understood why she was nervous, because I was a little hesitant as well. I just wished she would relax a little bit. We were going to have to tell someone at some point. Gil sort of already knew.

  The next morning, I got a call from my publicist, asking if it was true, and I had to say yes. Once something like this got out to the public, my manager and my publicist were the ones to help me keep it under control and sane once it came time for interviews. Especially since I was about to go back out on the road, I had to know exactly what I was going to say to the public, even though I hated that people felt entitled to an explanation all the time. I didn't care. I was with the woman of my absolute dreams, and I was going to show her off to everyone eventually.

  "What are you going to say about me on the talk shows and stuff? At least it's in Europe, Wendy Williams won't be grilling you all the way out there," Toni told me. It was all she could seem to think about. Checking her phone constantly. I took the phone from her pocket and threw it on the table, then pulled her into a passionate kiss without any explanation. She just needed to relax. My hands found her ass and squeezed hard, causing her to hold onto my arms for support. Anything to distract her.

  "I'm going to tell them how good you are to me, I'm going to tell them how much happier I've been, I'm going to tell them you drive me absolutely crazy, I'm going to tell them you mean the world to me, and I'm going to tell them that I can't believe you're mine."

  Toni just looked at me, unsure what to say, but she didn't have to.

  "I want to tell them I'm absolutely crazy about you, I'm in love with Toni Michelle Braxton, and anyone that has anything to say about it can talk to Joey."

  She laughed for the first time in 24 hours. I squeezed her body tighter in my arms.

  "It's all going to work out, okay? Relax a little. I will gas you up and brag about you all the way until they cut to commercial. And I'll still be talking about you after that. I got you, baby."

  "Okay."

Her phone buzzed violently on the table. She jumped at the sound. "God, I'm almost afraid to answer it. It's Tamar."

  "You don't have to answer it."

  "It could be about Mommy, though."

  "If it's not, hang up."

Toni reluctantly answered the phone.
  "Hello?"

  "Toni the Braxton?"

  "Yes, Tamar?"

  "Guess what I saw?"

  "What, Tamar?" Toni gave me a knowing look. She was gonna talk about us.

  "I saw you and Janet Jackson making kissy faces at each other on a roof. What's all that about though?" She was nearly screaming. How could someone be this animated all the time?

  "What about it?" Toni replied calmly. I put my hand on her waist.

  "After y'all just sat up in the hospital acting like ain't nothing was going on? I want answers!"

  "Did you expect us to be all up on each other while my mother was sick in the hospital?"

  "But you ain't tell nobody y'all was knocking boots!"

  "Because you act like this, Tamar. "

  "But I ain't even know you liked girls like that!"

  "Oh my god, is this all you called me for? I'm sort of busy. We can talk when you calm down, okay?"