Chapter 30

Toni

"Let's go out. I wanna take you on a date," Janet proposed spontaneously, turning her head to face me. We were just laying down in her bed after finishing what she started in my car. It was too bright outside to doze off.

"Well, sure, but I want to take you. You deserve it much more than me right about now. Shit, let me cook for you or something." I reached my hand out to touch her arm. She blushed. "Janet Jackson, don't act like you don't know how to crack somebody's back. You put it on me, girl."

"Oh, Toni." She waved me off. I wanted her to take credit for something once in her life. How could she possibly give credit to someone else for making me feel the way I did when we made love? It was just me and her, and since I wasn't touching myself, the award went to Janet Jackson. Hands down. "But since I came up with the idea, I get to decide. And I decide I want to take you out."

  "Sure, we can go out. What did you have in mind?" I surrendered.

  "I didn't get that far," she giggled. "Oh! Wait, I know exactly where to take you."

  "Really? Where?" I perked up.

  "I think I'll wait til later to tell you."

  "Jan!" I whined. "I swear you get on my nerves."

  "Okay, it's about 3 now, and I want to give you time to get ready. Lord knows you take forever. And I wanna take you shopping too."

  "Alright, this is getting to be too much, Jan. You know I don't like it when you buy me stuff," I said bashfully.

Janet rolled over on her side to face me, before scooching up closer to my body. "I know, and I'm trying to change that."

  "So I can become a snotty, stuck-up bitch?"

  "No, so you can truly understand how you're meant to be treated by someone. I'm raising your standards to where they should have been all along."

  "Jan, no offense, but I think I would know-"

  "And we're still having this conversation, which tells me you don't. It's okay. That's what I'm here for, baby." She kissed my lips before I could say anything else, then hopped out of bed. "Come on. Let's go."

  "To the mall? We'll get mauled."

  "If we made it through Venice Beach, we can make it through the mall."

  "Last time I went to the mall, with security, mind you, people followed me across the entire building, cameras every step I took. It was terrible. And you, Janet Jackson, are only going to make it worse."

  "Come on, live a little! Joey's all we need."

  "You say that now." I got out of bed and stretched out a little.

  "We will be fine. Get dressed."

  "When did you get so bold and bossy? Damn." I muttered.

  "That night you said you liked it when I told you what to do. Remember that?" Janet teased. I felt my face get hot.

  "This is different."

  "It's always different. Just get ready while I call Joey."

I went in the bathroom to fix up my smudged makeup and disheveled hair. She was always so rough with me, it was hard to just do it and keep going on with our lives like nothing happened. You could always tell when we got carried away.

  "30 minutes, Toni Michelle," Janet called into the bathroom. "He'll be here."

  "Alright," I said cautiously. "I'll go get my helmet." I grabbed a comb from under her sink to put my hair back into place.