Chapter 49

Toni

"20 bucks says you won't go over there."  I crossed my arms as Gil lowered his eyes at me.

  "Not for that chump change, I won't. You're right."

We were at the bar now, just me, Gil, Jan, and Preston. As much as I loved being around Janet's dancers, this circle was more my speed. Everybody was good and grown. And knew Janet on a muchore intimate level. I didn't have to hold my tongue about much of anything.

  "I got 40," Janet chimed in, sipping her drink. "And if I'm correct with that math, that makes 60. Any more than that and you are a certified pussy."

  I scrunched my face up as if I'd tasted something sour. Gil's jaw dropped low. "No way, Gil. Are you gonna take that from her?" I instigated.

A man had been undressing Gil with his eyes for about 10 minutes now, and we were pushing Gil to make a move. He was a cute, chocolate brother with a medium build and a close-cut go T.  We were about 2 drinks in, each, but I guess he wasn't feeling quite bold enough just yet. So we had to put some money on the table.

"Pres, you in?" Janet asked.

  "No."

  "Why not?"

  "Because I know for a fact that man was looking at me," he glanced in his direction, then looked down at his drink. I stifled a laugh. Janet grabbed my thigh, a signal to keep my cool.

  "Alright. So double or nothing if you both go over there and see what his deal is," she proposed. I rubbed my hands together. The night was getting better and better.

"Gil Duldulao works alone." He crossed his legs.

"If he doesn't go, I'll go for free, shit."

  "Somebody's gotta go," I said. "Before he comes over here."

  "You know what? Keep your money, both of you. Preston, let's go." Gil stood up and grabbed his phone from the bar. Preston did the same. "So what, are we together? What is our story?" He asked him.

  "Let's try to let him do all the talking." He fixed his shirt and took a deep breath.

  "Is this really happening?" I leaned over and asked Janet. "This isn't happening, right?"

  "Don't look too hard!" She warned as they made their way across the room. "Gil's gonna get his number."

  "My money's on Preston, to be honest."

  "Oh, so you wanna bet now?" She looked at me in a challenging fashion.

  "Yeah. I do." I glanced over at all of the men talking. The stranger's attention seemed to be equally distributed to both of them, and for a split second I thought maybe they could all go home together. But I knew that was the liquor talking. When Gil said he flies solo, he means it.

  "How does it look?" She asked. Her back was turned to them.

  "It's anyone's guess." The man flirted back and forth, and from the back, Preston seemed to be a little more receptive. "I'm leaning towards Pres."

  "Oh, God."

  "Who's side are you on?"

  "Neither. Both of them could use a little vitamin D." She called the bartender over for another round for all of us. I laughed and rested the side of my face in my hand.

  "I think we've been spotted too," She muttered, her eyes fixed beyond me.

"Man or woman?"