Chapter 45

Toni

"Baby, wake up, it's getting late. We're getting ready to head out soon." I woke up to broad daylight and Janet's arms tight around me. My mouth tasted minty fresh, I had on only a t-shirt, and for the life of me, I could not figure out where the hell I was. Nothing felt too familiar to me. Who's bed was this?

  "Janet?" I furrowed my eyebrows. My back was to her and her body was pressed tight against me as she kissed my neck.

  "How do you feel, honey?"

  "Where the hell am I?" I sat up and looked around. The first thing to catch my eye was an adult toy at the foot of the bed, and everything rushed back like a tsunami. How could I forget?  "Oh, my God." I put my face in my hands. "What time is it?"

  "Almost 3. You were sick for about 30 minutes, and then you passed out," Janet chuckled.

  "It felt like hours in that bathroom, oh my God." I placed my feet on the floor and glanced over at the red dress I wore last night, smiling. She was too good to me.

  "No, no. Anyway, our bus leaves at 6. I want to get all of our stuff together now, eat something, and whatever time we have left over is ours. But you know how I hate to be rushed." She stood up and stretched out.

  "How were you not reeling?" I asked.

  "I can handle my liquor, baby," She taunted. I rolled my eyes. "Come on, help me pack so we can eat."

  "What, Kale smoothies?" I stood up and tried to find the rest of my clothes, then went into the bathroom to start a shower.

  "Very funny. No, whatever you want. Just for today."

Janet was wearing some baggy sweatpants, but no shirt and a sports bra. Her hair made her look about 10 years younger. I watched her shuffle around the room, straightening up through the mirror.

  "Jan, come here for a second," I called. She stood up straight  from being bent over and came to me.

  "What's up?"

I sat on the counter and held my hand out for her. She smiled bashfully, getting closer until I could rest my elbows on her shoulders.

  "Last night was incredible, and I just want thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you did. I really needed it."

  Her eyes lit up, and then softened with a smile. "Baby, that was nothing. I'm glad you had a good time though. I wanted you to forget about everything else going on and just have fun."

  "And I did. So again I say, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you." I kissed her lips in between each one. "You really know how to show someone a good time, I must say." I tangled up my fingers in her silky hair. She blushed and didn't say anything else, but just looked into my eyes, seemingly looking for the words to say. I felt a little bashful, but just held her tighter.

  "I want you to know right now, Toni Michele Braxton, that I will do anything and everything for you, do you understand me?" Her face became serious and her eyebrows furrowed slightly. There wasn't a flaw to be found on her.

  "I understand."

  "Don't ever think you're a burden on me, don't ever think I can't handle it, or don't care. I care about you more than you will ever know." Her eyes looked a little teary.

  "Jan, where is all this coming from?"

  "You were so sad before you came here, Toni. Do you know what that did to me? Just knowing you were so stressed? And I couldn't do anything about it?"

We were quiet, and then she continued--"You... You made me so nervous."

  "I'm sorry, baby." I looked down in shame. I didn't want my problems to  be hers. She had enough to deal with.