Chapter 28

Toni

In spite of the beautiful end to my night, I woke up too early in the morning as a ball of nerves. I just couldn't get the image of my mother out of mind; she was completely unresponsive, pale, nearly lifeless. She was living, yes, but she wasn't alive. I needed to see her eyes to know she was alright. It's where she carried all of her emotion.

The sun was just barely on its way to rising now, and Janet was fast asleep in my arms nearly the same way she was the night before. She didn't move much, and was a heavy, yet silent sleeper. I could only feel her breath hitting my skin as she exhaled rhythmically. She was beautiful.

But despite what she told me last night, I had to go home. I had no clothes here. And I wanted to go to the hospital early to check on my mother. I had planned to spend a good portion of my day there, just in case something did happen and she woke up. I wanted to be there for my sisters too.

  "Janet," I whispered quietly. No answer. Not a move. "Janet Jackson, honey," I sang and began to stroke her hair. She just snuggled into me more. I chuckled. "Jan, open your eyes. Wake up." Then I kissed the velvety skin on her shoulder, the only part of her I could reach in this position. She finally groaned softly and managed to wrap her arms around me in a tight embrace. I laughed again. She was too cute. "Good morning, beautiful. I know you're awake. You can't fool me now." I tried to pry her arms off of me, but she just threw a fit like a child. "I can't believe you're acting like this! Get up. You are a grown ass woman."

  "Toni, come on," she groaned in a groggy, deep(ish) voice. She tangled our legs back and kissed my chest before snuggling back into my body. "It's too early. Just go back to sleep."

  "As much as I want to, I need to see my mother. Are you still coming?"

  "Can we talk about it in about 20 minutes?"

  "I was hoping I'd be in between your legs long before then." I walked my fingers up her back, and she giggled with a slight cringe.

  "Why do you do this to me?" She pouted. "How am I supposed to say no to that?"

  "You don't," I whispered, laying her on her back. It was the first time I saw her face since last night, and there was something about it that looked so radiant this morning. I smiled.

  "We haven't even brushed our teeth yet. Let's just-"

  "Hey, you don't even have to kiss me if you don't want to. All my business can be taken care of below the belt. Now, you, ma'am, can just lay there and enjoy it." I pushed the covers back and then positioned myself at the meeting of her thighs.

  "You're a mess."

  "And if I do it right, it'll put you right back to sleep." I pulled her underwear off and threw it behind me. Since we had just woken up, I knew that getting her blood flowing would take a little more work. So before diving in completely, I caressed her thighs and kissed the skin around her womanhood teasingly. I heard a faint sigh escape her lips.

  "God, do you always have to tease me?" She asked indignantly.

  "Not teasing, Jan. Simply preparing."

  "I think I'm prepared."

  "We'll see. Did you sleep okay last night?"

  Janet smiled. "I don't think I've slept that well in a while, actually now that you mention it. Because I went to bed with no worries, no stress, just relaxed.  In your arms... it was heaven-sent."

  "I'm glad." I blushed a little. "I was up thinking about my mother for a good while, but sleeping with you is comfortable otherwise." We had slept together plenty of times before, but something about it now was a little different. It meant something a little deeper now.