Chapter 71

Toni

I pulled myself out of bed the next morning, feeling like I weighed a million pounds. After Jan was asleep, I decided to have a few more glasses and some time alone on the balcony, and now I was paying for it. She was already up and repacking our bags with some calming music playing in the background. The sun was peeking through the heavy curtains, and I felt a slight breeze from where I'd left the back door ajar. It was a beautiful day, but there was a constant rain cloud hanging over my head.

"Hey, good morning." She smiled as she walked past me and noticed I was awake. She was always so radiant in the morning, no matter what. I had to smile back.

"Good morning."

"How are you feeling?"

"Hungover." I rubbed my face and dragged myself into the bathroom to wash my face. I was happy we bathed last night, because I was not in a showering mood today. What I really wanted were my favorite sweats, a few good movies and a rainy day to justify my mood, but the universe had other plans.

"I saw you went back for more." She sat on the edge of the tub and watched me brush my teeth. "You're still okay to go to breakfast?"

I nodded my head. "Let's just get it over with and go home. I miss our bed. I didn't sleep great last night."

"I understand. Well, I'm just gonna get dressed, so we can leave whenever you're ready." She left me alone. I looked at myself in the mirror for a while after I'd finished up. I almost didn't recognize the person staring back. She was empty, and tired, and conflicted.

I tried to shake the thoughts out of my head and went back into the room to get dressed as well. Janet had already laid my clothes out for the day. I smiled at the gesture, and then came up behind her as she was putting her jacket on to assist. She jumped.

"Don't do that! Jesus..." she grabbed her chest. I chuckled.

"Sorry, sorry." I turned her body around to face me. She had a perplexed look on her face.

"What is it?"

"Nothing, I just... thank you." I straightened out the collar on her denim jacket and let my hands fall naturally down her torso until they secured her waist. "You don't understand how much I appreciate your support, honest to God."

She smiled and kissed me gently. "You're welcome, always, sweetheart. We're gonna be late though. So we will have to continue this on the plane. Get dressed." She patted my backside and disappeared into the bathroom to put her makeup on.

I shook my head and finished getting ready.

The car ride had me on pins and needles. We really were pretty late, which meant all eyes would be on me. Much like the dinner we had at my house, I had no clue what this gathering would turn out to be. We were all just devastated, but I couldn't deny how pleasant it was to see us all in one room, my father included. The only issue now was that we were one short at the head of the table. I don't know if any of us would get used to that.

The host escorted us to the private dining room and sure enough, everyone was already knee deep in conversation and food. Because of everyone's children and spouses, there were actually two long tables filled. As the door shut behind Jan and I, we got about half of the room's attention. Trina was the first to speak up.

"Look who's here! I thought you guys wouldn't make it." She stood up and greeted us as the focus shifted entirely on our presence. I squeezed Janet's hand tightly before letting go to embrace my younger sister. "How are you today?" She muttered in my ear. I just gave her one singular nod with a tight-lipped expression. She picked up on it immediately. "I know, I know. Janet, good to see you again. I don't know how I missed you at the service completely." She gave her a hug too.