Chapter 50

60k and #90 on #ToniBraxton AND #1 on #JanetJackson 🙏🏾 wassup wit it

Janet

We were back on the plane now, and Toni couldn't keep her eyes open for anything. Before we even took off, she was fast asleep with her head hung down low. I knew she didn't get a lot of sleep last night--I could feel her tossing and turning the entire time. She was stressed. I knew because all day she'd been quiet, wouldnt sleep and didn't eat. It made me feel almost sick inside, especially since I knew the only way she would be okay is if she confronted her family. And that was the last thing she wanted to do.

She looked so cute all curled up in her sweats, light snores escaping her slightly parted lips. This jet held only me, her, Gil, and Joey. It was deafening how quiet it was. I wanted her to wake up and be right back to her normal self. I knew that wasn't the case.

"She is sleeping hard," Gil pointed out as he took his headphones off, noticing my restlessness.

"I know. She didn't get any sleep last night." I threw a blanket over her and she stirred, snuggling up just a little closer to me. I wrapped my arm around her.

"Is she okay? At the bar-"

"She's gotta straighten all this out with her sisters, I mean she told me she was literally afraid to come home. They don't know she's here with me."

"At all?"

"No, she was too angry to let anyone know. She feels like no one cares anymore."

"Well, we know that's not true."

"She knows that too. I know for a fact. But ever since word got out about us, everyone's kind of... you know."

"God, this reminds me so much of me when I was in high school." He shook his head. "I don't care how old you are, coming out is never easy."

"And I try to tell her that. She's in her 40s. More than free range to be with whomever she wants. No one's gonna ground her, or spank her. But that's family, their opinion is always gonna matter a whole lot to her. I understand that."

"What did your family say? I don't think you ever told me."

"Well, they were pretty indifferent about it. Even mother. She didn't have much to say."

"Huh."

I glanced over at Toni when I heard her make a noise In her sleep. I wished we could be in my bed now, so that it was more restful, but she seemed pretty comfortable nonetheless. I couldn't wait to get on with our life together, now that I had all of the time in the world. Before the tour was such romantic bliss, but with a tinge of anxious waiting for the day that I'd have to leave her. But from now until, we could relax entirely. No rehearsals, meetings, interviews or anything. I was elated.

"She's gonna be okay. She'll find the strength somewhere."

"I know she will."

"You know what I think, J?" Gil leaned forward in his chair.

"What do you think, Gil?"

"I think that you're gonna marry her. No tea, no shade."

I felt my face heat up. "And what makes you think this?"

"Really?" He gave me a look. "Look at yourself, bitch. Now, we all know you love hard, but come on."

I just shook my head with a bashful smile. It's not that I couldn't see us married, but it really didn't even cross my mind. I was so consumed in right now. It seemed too far away, but then again, why did it have to be?