Chapter 32

Janet

The media windstorm was officially full-blown with photos of Toni and I at dinner. Requests for interviews were coming in for either she or I nearly every day, and it was starting to get on my nerves. What was there to talk about? We were together. That's it.

It was easy to ignore it now because tour crunch time was upon me, and between dance rehearsals and meetings, there was no time for me to accidentally catch us on tv or the internet.

  That is, until, Gil called and wanted every detail. He was the only paparazzi I would tolerate, only because I knew he meant well.

  "So it's official official? Toni and JJ? I'm here for it," he gushed as we stretched for another 8-hour Rehearsal. I just smiled.

  "Yeah, Gil. It's official, whatever that means."

   "I can tell she's cracking your back already. It's all over your face, Jan." He muttered. "Either that, or you're putting it on her and you know it. So which one is it?"

  "Don't you have some dance moves to make up? What's with all these questions!" My face heated up.

He shook his head. "I know you, J. I can tell she's doing something to you. I wanna meet her."

  "I'd love for you to meet her," I told him with a shy smile. "You'd love her."

  "Give me a time and a place, and I'm there." Gil got up, then held his hand out for me to stand as well. All this talk about Toni was making me miss her so much. Now that both of us were about to go on the road, our rendezvous were much further and in between. There was only one more night that I could be with her, and then I had to leave. I was dreading it. As much as I loved performing, I loved Toni so much more.

But as soon as the music started and all of us were in position, all of those thoughts left my mind, and I was ready to dance until I couldn't anymore.

Toni

  "Face, you missed the entrance again." I sighed, leaning against the piano. After the health scare with my mother, we had to practice twice as much to make up for all of the lost time. Everyone was tired, and I was trying not to turn into a bitch, but the focus was gone and we all were making mistakes that we'd never made before this afternoon.

  "Alright guys, let's take 10." The drummer said. We all disbanded our separate ways. I downed a bottle of water, desperately wishing it was wine.

  "So I heard you and Janet are officially a couple," Face said, nudging my arm with a smile. "What did I tell you?"

  "I know what you told me," I blushed. "Thank you, again, for that advice."

  "So what is it like dating Janet Jackson?"

I rolled my eyes. Not him too. "You don't want to know the half."

Visions of her filled my mind almost instantly. Now, it was like we were getting pulled in opposite directions, and couldn't get together for anything. I knew that was just how it was going to be, but it didn't make it hurt any less. I wanted to see her.

  "What's that supposed to mean?" He asked, cocking his head to the side. A smile grew wide on my face.

  "Don't worry about it, Face."

  "See, this is why I can't talk to you. Y'all are some freaks." He laughed. I shook my head.

If anybody was the freak, it was Jan. I was just along for the ride.

  "See, but you had to take it there. That could have meant anything."

  "I know what it means," he muttered. "Congratulations. I'm happy for you, Ton." He flashed a bright grin.