Chapter 53: Part I

Toni

Janet woke me up so early that a hint of the night still lingered when I glanced over at the slightly parted blinds. It was her lips grazing my neck, her hands rubbing my stomach, and her legs intertwining with mine that made it okay. It was a great start to the morning.

"Hey, hey, touchy feely... What are you doing?" I mumbled. I was still so sleepy. And though it felt really nice, I knew I had a long day ahead of me and needed all of the rest I could get right now.

"Nothing. What are you doing?" Her voice was so raspy, she may as well have smoked a pack a day.

"Just trying to get some sleep."

"No." She said.

"No?"

"No."

"Oh."

"Well... actually, okay. Go back to sleep."

"You woke me up already, Jan. What do you need?" I mumbled.

"You."

"Me?"

"Yes, you."

"Oh."

"I need you to promise me something." Her hands were so soothing against my skin. She could get me up like this every day.

"What is it?"

"No matter what happens today, what they say about us, or you... just don't let it infiltrate what we've got, okay? At the end of the day, you and I are in this relationship. Not anybody else."

I grew somber at the thought of worst-case scenarios with my family. I had the potential to tear us all apart today. There was a lot riding on this overdue conversation, though I didn't want to think about it.

"I know."

"I want you to know I am gonna love you regardless of whether or not we gain approval. And I just hope you feel the same."

I opened my eyes and took a deep breath. Of course I knew that. To some extent. It would pain me to no end if no one accepted us or even respected us. But she was right. It was about us. Not them.

"I know, Jan."

"Okay?"

"Okay."

"Today's gonna be just fine, and I'll be on my very best behavior..." She hunkered down under the covers and kissed my back, pulling me even closer into her. "Starting as soon as we get out of bed."

I bit my lip. This is what she wanted all along. I felt her hand reach around to squeeze my breast. "How is your nipple healing?" She asked me.

"You see it every day. How does it look to you?" I glanced down at it just to make sure. Everything was fine. Not painful, just sensitive. And that was fine. I rolled over on my back so that I could see her face for the first time this morning. She could never disappoint me.

"It looks okay. But it feels okay now?"

I looked down and unbuttoned my night shirt. She watched intensely as each piece of my chest was revealed. I glanced up at her with an amused smile. When enough of the shirt was unfastened, she opened it up to see for herself. She didn't touch it, but examined it so carefully, you'd think she was the one that pierced it in the first place.

"It's just about there, yeah. It healed up nice. It doesn't hurt, right?" She grabbed her glasses off the nightstand to get a closer look.

"No, it's just-"