Chapter 66

Janet

  "Honey, wake up! We're here." I shook Toni nearly senseless as the plane touched down on the ground. She could sleep through anything. I pulled the shade up on the window and watched as we zoomed past an endless row of palm trees. Toni stirred, nestled closer to me, and sighed.

  "Toni Michele. Open your eyes."

I nudged her off of my shoulder. She groaned. "Why?" She whined.

  "Because we made it! And it's still daytime."

  "That's because you dragged us on this plane at the ass crack of dawn."

  I scoffed. "Come on. Just get your stuff together, and I'll let you take a quick power nap before we go out."

I unbuckled her seatbelt and mine as the plane came to a slow stop. "Can Joey carry me?"

  "Ask Joey." I looked back at him getting a little suitcase from the overhead storage.

  "Joey?"

  "Yes," he said.

  "Can you carry me, honey?"

He chuckled. "If you insist."

  "Thank you, sweetness." Toni adjusted her sunglasses on her face, then unzipped her sweatshirt a little. "This is Hawaii for sure. The girls are already sweating."

   "Are we ready?" Joey asked. "Let me step out and get the staff to grab your luggage, and I'll come back and get you."

  "Alright. Thank you." I glanced over at Toni who had already crossed her arms and hung her head down low in a doze. I shook my head.

  "Baby, please get up. What's gotten into you?  You're awfully sleepy these days."

  "Not to say I don't like it, but we've been up almost every night for the past week doing... well, just about everything. And I don't bounce back like I used to."

I chuckled and pinched her cheek. "Oh, come on. You gotta learn how to hang." I rubbed on her thigh.

  Joey came back and cleared his throat. "Your chariot awaits, Toni." I got out of my seat and watched as he hoisted her easily over his shoulder. I followed them out of the plane, and the smell of surf and the breeze immediately invigorated me. I was so happy to be here with my best friend.

  "So ridiculous," I mumbled, shaking my head. She looked so comfortable slung over his arm.

  "Don't hate," she said.

  "But Toni, look around! It's gorgeous. We have to go watch the sunset."

  "How long are we staying here?"

  "Until you're ready to go."

  "There will be plenty of sunsets." She relaxed her head back on his shoulder as we made it to our little house. I sighed. Had we really been up every night? It didn't feel like it.

  Joey passed the key to me and I opened the door for us. Everything was just how I'd left it before; last time I was here, Wissam and my crew were also in tow. Having just Toni and Joey, who usually took these vacations to catch up on his own sleep, would be a totally different dynamic.

   "Just set her on the bed, Joey."

  "Alright, ladies, enjoy. I'll be next door if you need anything." He put her gently down on our bedroom, and she immediately curled up into a ball to sleep.

  "Thank you. You wanna get dinner later?" I asked as he exited.

  "Maybe."

  "Okay. Let me know."