Chapter 39: Part I

Toni

I was distracted at rehearsal, like usual these days. Over-analyzing my relationship with all 4 of my sisters, trying to figure out who was most likely to throw me under the bus. As much as I hated to admit it, I wouldn't have been surprised if any of them had done it; between the 5 of us, there was always going to be disagreements and side-picking. It was inevitable.

But either way, it angered me to think that any of them would have truly gone that far. I'd kept so many secrets amongst them that it was hard to keep straight who's they were in my mind.

I didn't know what I was going to do once I actually found out who did it. The whole ordeal could change the entire dynamic between us. I didn't want it to be like this, by any means, but something had to be said. Something had to be done.

After rehearsal, I stormed to my car to make it home in time to straighten up. Face caught up to me in the parking lot and grabbed me by the shoulder.

"What's going on with you?"

"My sisters, one of them is about to feel my wrath." I fumbled for my keys in the purse.

"Why, why? Slow down. What happened?"

"One of them has told my mother about Janet and I together, and she is not speaking to me now, to make a short story even shorter."

"And you don't know who?" He furrowed his eyebrows as he put sunglasses back on.

"No, and of course no one's telling, so I gotta pry some Information out of somebody." I got in the car. Face stopped me from slamming my door shut.

"Just be careful," he warned. "Don't let this ruin everything."

"As far as I'm concerned, it already has. Excuse me," I closed my door and started the engine, speeding angrily back to my house.

The more I thought about it, the more it made me mad. One of them really thought they had the nerve and the right to tell my mother something so personal and fragile about myself. It was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, from the wrong somebody.

Tamar was the first to show up, acting all innocent as she offered to help set things up. I declined and continued to get bowls and plates out of cabinets that were frankly too tall for me to reach. But I wanted to do it myself.

"Ion know why you acting all huffy, you know I ain't tell all your business on the mountain," She flipped her long, blond hair over her shoulder and crossed her legs.

"I don't know who did it, but somebody did, and until I find out who the hell it was, I got no love for any of you." I set an empty plate in front of her.

"Well, Imma be first in line for a sincere, big ass apology."

"Mhm."

The doorbell rang shortly after, and I called for whoever it was just to walk in. It was Towanda, already looking kind of guilty in the face. She was the last person I would have guessed. I didn't interrogate her just yet, but had her sit down. Lastly, Trina strolled in, quiet as a church mouse, looking blankly around the room.

Dinner was served in a loud silence. Minds racing. They were waiting on me to explode, but I'd decided already that I wasn't going to do that.

"So," I began, cutting furiously at my chicken. "Ain't none of y'all got nothing to say? Towanda? Secret keeper?" I glanced in her direction.

"Toni, right hand to the Man, I didn't tell Mommy a word about you and Janet," she begged. If she swore on God, I knew she wasn't lying. I moved on.