Chapter 27

Toni

There always comes a sort of natural high in knowing someone feels the same way you do about them. For me, it meant the end of suffering, wondering, and contemplating. To know we were not only on the same page, but could read that page aloud together. There was no better feeling. And it was just what I needed to lift my spirits up a little after the day's chaotic happenings.

  "I'm gonna run a bath for you to finish relaxing those muscles, but in the mean time, just lay down."

  "You really don't have to do all of that. I'll be okay."

  "Just okay. A little warm water, jets, and a good bath bomb makes it even better. Candles, music, whatever you want. As long as you relax. Give me your shoes."

I pulled my boots off, setting them near the bed. Janet moved them by the door once she got the water running in her deluxe jacuzzi bathtub.

"Come on, it hasn't been ten minutes and you're already spoiling me." It felt so weird to have her do all of this for me. No one ever has.

  "I wasn't kidding. I want you to have everything you want and deserve. Starting with a little R&R. Nothing big." Next, she pointed a remote to a receiver near her television, and music began to play from speakers I couldn't even see. "Is this music okay?"

  "It's fine."

  "Come on, it's almost full. I want you to pick out what scent you want in the water."

I followed her to the bathroom and on a shelf filled with soaps and scrubs were also bath bombs and salts; everything I could possibly think to use in a bath was on this particular shelf, in multiple scents and purposes. I was overwhelmed.

  "You like vanilla, right? You always smell like vanilla." Janet scanned the shelf.

  "Yeah, vanilla is good."

  "You'll like this one." She reached on her toes to grab a bottle at the very top, barely used, and gave to me to smell. It was intoxicating.

  "I love it."

  "I try not to use it a lot because I was actually in Europe when i got it, and haven't been able to find it since."

  "You don't have to use it all on me. What's this, cherry? Cherry blossom is fine, too." I looked at some other bottles.

But she was already pouring a generous amount into the tub.

"Alright, it's done. Get in."

"And what are you going to do? You're going to get in, too, right?" I started to pull my shirt over my head.

  "Not unless you ask me to."

  "I'm asking you to."

  "Okay."

So now we were both undressing. It felt a little weird to be doing this with her, but I just had to keep in mind what it was now. And every time I did, I couldn't help but to smile. Janet probably thought I was crazy. But all she did was smile back at me, so maybe she understood what I was feeling. She held out her hand to help me up the few stairs leading to her marble tub, and as my foot was submerged into the water, I could already tell I was going to be here a while.

  First of all, the tub was the size of a real hot tub, large enough for at least 3 people, if not more. The water was the perfect temperature of warm, and the jets were gently massaging my lower back as I leaned against its padded sides. And the quiet Brazilian jazz music that she turned on earlier was also coming through concealed speakers in the bathroom, not just her room. She'd  turned the lights down to a soft, warm glow, and lit a few candles scattered around the bathroom. The only thing missing now, was her.