Chapter 5

Janet

I went back upstairs and collapsed back onto my bed. Finally, I had gotten a taste of her lips, and now it was all I wanted. I was never one to be so blunt and forceful when I told someone how I felt for the first time, but Toni was different. It was something that I couldn't just hint at subtly. I wanted her to know, on no uncertain terms. And judging by the way she was kissing me, she had to want me back.

I smiled at the thought. We would have to really talk about what we were feeling with each other though, because I didn't like the guessing game.

My phone rang on my nightstand, pulling me away from my daydream. Hopefully it was Toni, ready to plan the sleepover, where I could really show her how I felt, All night and into the next morning.

But it was Wissam. Shit, I'd forgotten about him, my boyfriend. A pang of guilt hit me in my stomach for wanting to get the ball rolling with Toni so eagerly, not even taking into account that I was still with him. I answered the phone and tried to sound cool, like I wasn't cheating on him or even thinking about it.

"Hey, baby," I answered.

"Hi, Janet. Baby, I miss you so much."

"I miss you too," I lied. "When will you be home again?"

"Soon, just another 2 weeks."

"Babe, you know that's when I go back out for the second leg of the tour."

"I know, I mean it was going to be a surprise. But I guess I'll tell you now. I'm gonna go with you!" He exclaimed.

"Really?" I tried to sound excited, but I really wasn't. Last time he came with me, I almost slit my throat. Being under him like that for so long got on my nerves. We couldn't be clingy. We needed space.

"Yeah! Just like last time. We had so much fun."

"I know, I loved having you there."

It was getting harder and harder to pretend. There was a silence. Usually I could talk to him for hours, but I didn't have much conversation in me now. Well, not for him, at least.

  "Janet are you okay?" He asked me after a moment. He could tell over the phone when something was up with me? Wow. It made me feel even worse about the fact that he was basically an afterthought to me right now.

"I'm fine, Wissam."

"Okay, Well I just wanted to check in with you quickly, since I won't be able to call you tonight. But I have to go. It's a busy day today."

Finally. Oops.

"Aw, well call me when you can, okay baby?"

"Of course. I love you Janet. I can't wait to see you."

"I love you too. Bye, Wissam."

"Bye."

I hung up the phone and closed my eyes. This was about to get really messy.

Toni

I drove around for a while, just trying to make sense of everything in my head. But that was just it--it didn't make sense. Janet was tryna bone me, which I didn't really mind. Fine. Then Face wanna come out of no where and confess his feelings for me?! That was, as my baby sister Tamar would say, team too much.

What really bugged me was that they both have known me for so long... Why today? Why now? I mean, there was no discussing which one of them I would choose... Janet, for sure. But now that I know Face feels like this, and we still have to finish the album and tour, it would eat me alive. I just didn't like him like that. If anything, he was more like a brother to me, even if we joke around about being married. But I guess he wasn't joking no more.