20| Crown Pack

Read the important message at the bottom please!

Crown Pack: Alpha Robert

Ronan's POV

"Will you please just let me explain what happened all those years ago?"

"I think I can put the pieces together Mom. What I need to know is why you lied to me for so long."

"It was for your own good."

Cora laughs dryly, clearly not amused. "It was for my good, or your good Mom?"

"Cora, please," her Mom begs, on the other end of the line. "I want you to come home. You have to forgive me."

"Why should I," Cora snaps angrily. "I'm perfectly happy here in Georgia."

I know it's wrong of me to listen in on Cora's phone conversation with her Mom but when I heard her voice from beyond the kitchen window I couldn't help but listen in. I still don't know what exactly they're talking about but I know it has to do with why Cora is in Georgia and not in Arizona with her Mom.

I don't know why Cora won't open up to me about her past and frankly I'm getting a little impatient. I have one more month to make her fall in love with me before she has to face the decision to go home. It would help me out a lot if I knew why she doesn't want to go home in the first place.

"But you belong here," I hear her Mom say through the phone. It's times like these that I'm lucky I have hearing that of a wolf.

Cora groans, rubbing her hand down her face and through her hair. "You know what Mom? I'll talk to you when I'm ready to come home, whenever that is. Goodbye." Cora hangs up the phone without letting her Mom get a word in.

She buries her head in her hands and I don't have to be mated to her to know she's feeling upset. I grab the cup of iced tea I made for her and walk outside to the front porch. I sit next to her on the first step, setting the cup in front of her. She doesn't bother to look up at me.

I throw an arm over her shoulder, wanting to comfort her, and almost immediately she pulls away. I look at her hurt while she looks away.

"No offence Ronan," she says with a shaky voice, "but you're making me feel worse."

"How," I ask, offended. "I'm trying to comfort you. You're obviously upset."

She swivels her head to look at me. Her eyes are narrowed in anger and wet with unshed tears. "You really have the audacity to tell me that you don't know? That's a load of bull Ronan."

"Are you still mad about my father? That was days ago, I thought you let it go."

She laughs darkly. "Am I still mad? I should have let it go? You never apologized!"

I hold my hands up in defense. "I didn't think I had to apologize for something someone else did!"

She glares at me and once again I don't have to be mated to her to know she's pissed at me. "Your father left me alone in the woods! He was there one second and gone the next! I was lost for two hours Ronan! Two freaking hours until you found me! And you don't even have the balls to face your father about it!"

I try to reign in my wolf but it's hard to do so. He's angry that our mate doesn't think we're strong. "Don't talk to me that way."

"Well than don't let your father treat me that way," she sneers. "You might be able to let him do it, but I will not. The next time I see him I will give him exactly what he deserves for putting me in danger like that."

Cora jumps up from the porch and stops back inside, slamming the door behind her. I know she's mad at him, heck maybe she even hates him, as she should. But there is nothing I can do about it if I don't want his claws to find my heart. I'm already in trouble with him for getting the council mad at me. Apparently one of the kids that I got into a fight with in front of McDonalds was Dr. Culter's son. I gave him a concussion and broke three of his ribs. He'll be out of the first two games of football when it starts in a month.