33| Red Moon Pack

Red Moon Pack: Alpha Zelus

Asena's POV

It's odd to me, I realize as I slowly become aware of my surroundings. I died. I know I did, I was fully aware of my heart that stopped beating, of my body that became colder with every second. I knew I was leaving my world and heading into the afterlife, where the moon goddess would greet me.

At least that's what my parents told me as I was growing up. When we die we go into the Great Forest, an endless forest where we are reunited with everyone we've ever loved for all eternity. The moon goddess is supposed to be waiting for every soul to pass through, where she can greet them, her creations.

Except she didn't greet me.

I'm aware of that only for a second when I wake up, before the whole ordeal is completely vanished from my brain.

My lids slowly open to see a canopy of trees above me, the sun shining through them to cast down on my face. Automatically, I think the sight is beautiful. I want to lie down there forever, staring up at the beauty mother nature possesses.

But then I hear a ferocious growl beside me.

I turn my head as much as it can go, the slight movement making my head ache with tremendous pain. As I look into the eyes of a golden eyed black wolf I begin to wonder what is going on around me.

The wolf growls again, murder in its eyes. It takes a threatening step forward, it's giant paw thundering down on the forest floor.

"Please," I whisper with a scratchy voice, "don't hurt me."

What did I do to this wolf to make it want to kill me? Why does my entire body hurt, almost to the point of being immobile? And where is Ryan?

At the thought of him my neck burns as if someone is holding a million suns to it. I scream in agony, tears welling up in my eyes instantly.

This pain . . . it's too much.

I'm aware of the wolf taking another step toward me, baring its teeth with large canines, but the pain I feel now is much stronger and scarier than any wolf could be.

The wolf leaps into the air as I watch in slow motion, knowing I will die within the next few minutes.

But then, a miracle happens.

Another wolf, a familiar one with a scar on his hind leg jumps out of nowhere, taking the black wolf to the ground. My eyes look on helplessly as Wes tears his teeth into the other animal.

My eyes grow tired and I'm forced to close them, succumbing to the darkness as growls and whines mix together in the beautiful forest.

...

It's dark. The shadows are creeping around, running up walls and around dark figures spread around the room. The only light is that from the moonlight coming through a ceiling window in the middle of the room.