42| Phoenix Pack

PHOENIX PACK: Alpha Ronan

Ronan's POV

I stare at the yellow daisy's in my hand. It's a familiar sight, after having them spread around my house growing up. They always reminded me of better days to come, where the sun would shine brighter and I didn't have to worry so much. Except, now, as I look at the bouquet in my hands I'm reminded of the terrible things my pack has had to face.

From this point on, I know I won't think of sunshine whenever I see the yellow flowers. No, I'll think of my Mother, who was so heartbroken over her husband and daughter's death, that she killed herself.

I should have been there, is the only thing my mind is telling me. If I didn't leave, my Mom wouldn't have taken her own life. It's all of my fault.

"You can't think like that," speaks a familiar voice.

I look over my shoulder to see my little sister, Raini, standing behind me. Her arms are crossed across her chest and her eyes are set into stone. Her and I look more similar to each other than we ever have.

Both of us are now hardened by our demons, by our loss. We have realized that in order to keep pushing forward, we have to push all of our feelings back. We have to pretend it doesn't hurt.

Her eyes land on the heavy stone, marking our mother's burial place. "She would have killed herself either way Ronan. None of us could do anything to stop her."

I look back at the flowers in my hand. Carefully, I crouch down and place them on the stone, baring my Mother's name. As much as I want to believe Raini, a small part of me knows she's wrong.

"She was my friend too Ronan," Raini speaks, a crack in her voice. I freeze, my heart ceasing to beat as I realize that we aren't talking about our mother anymore. "I miss her, we all do. I'm afraid for her, what she's going through right now." I clench my hand into a fist, demanding myself to calm down. I can't break, not anymore. "You can't find her alone Ronan. You'll have more luck if the pack helps you, but right now, we're vulnerable and weak. We need an Alpha, we need you."

I stand to my full height, feeling my heart turn into iron.

Don't feel. Don't feel. Don't feel.

"Trust me sister. You have me, and we'll find the person who took her. And when we do, I swear to every God that has and ever will exist, I will make that person beg the devil to torture him, instead of I."

...

Wire looked to be a scoundrel that parent's warned their teenage daughters about. I could imagine him skipping class to smoke a couple cigarettes, or bringing a girl home far past her curfew, simply because he wanted everyone to know he doesn't care.

But Wire isn't a teenage human boy. He's a rogue who is intelligent and knows not how to survive in this world, but to thrive. His eyes glint with danger that seems to run through his veins, but they always soften when they land on my little sister, his mate.