46| Phoenix Pack

Phoenix Pack: Alpha Ronan

Ronan's POV

I stand back and admire my work. For my first project in months it's not bad, especially considering I've never built anything like this before.

I throw my hand out, hitting one of the protruding planks. Another comes flying my way, which I block with uncanny speed, then another, and another, until I step back and let the planks of wood slow to a stop.

"Not bad."

I look over my shoulder to see Milo standing in the doorway of my shop. Up until a couple months ago this is where we used to spend all of our time. When we were eighteen we opened up our own furniture store, where we sold anything we made. Only people in the town bought from us of course, but we were happy. Now, it's being used as our training workshop because of recent events.

"I'll have to build a couple more so all the pack members will be able to take turns during training. How is Wire?"

Milo shrugs his shoulder. "He's making progress, a little at a time though. His . . . tactics are different than anything I've seen before."

I raise an eye brow in question. "What do you mean by that?"

"Well for one, he uses weapons; knives, guns, a big stick he calls a bo staff?"

"We need anything we can get," I tell Milo. "I'm not above having to resort to weaponry, are you?"

Milo smirks mischievously. "As long as it makes other wolves shit their pants, then no. I'm fine with it. He won't let me touch his stick though," he says with a frown.

I close my eyes, amusement creeping up from the cracks. "I really hope you mean his bo staff."

"Of course I do," he shouts, going red throughout the face. "Anyways, I came here to tell you that the pack is ready. They've gathered in front of your house."

I nod my head, taking a deep breath for comfort. As I follow Milo out of the shop my nerves bubble up inside of me. This is the first time I'll be addressing the pack since I've been back, since I've been Alpha. I haven't been a great one, not even a good one. When I ask them to sacrifice their lives to go capture a meaningless rogue for me, I'll be expecting the worst.

Too quickly, I spot the crowd before my porch steps. According to Wire, the size of my pack wouldn't even make up a third of other packs. But the size of our hearts are a thousand times larger than theirs.

My pack members make a path way for me, keeping their heads bowed in respect. My eyes catch the small movement of a little hand waving to me. I look down at to see a familiar little boy, not even eight years old, staring up at me showcasing me his wide grin with a missing front tooth. I'm awestruck by that smile, by the look in his eyes.

He holds nothing but pride for me, making my heart clench. I'm reminded of the duty I have, the destiny that waits for me; to protect these people. My people.

I lift my chin and square my shoulders, continuing my walk to my front door. I ascend the stairs, feeling eighty three pairs of eyes on me. I take a deep breath before I turn around to face them.

The first face I see is J.J., the boy that I saved from the Beta rogue months ago. Beside him is his mate, Raini's friend, and his brother, my friend Adam; the best tracker in the pack.

Just like the little boy from minutes before, I see nothing, but pride in their eyes. It makes me gain a surge of confidence I didn't think I had.

I look over across my pack, seeing the old faces, and the young, the males, and the females. They all lost someone that night, friends, brothers, daughters, parents.