36| Lunar Claw Pack

New characters have been added to Characters Part 2 chapter

Next update: 1100 votes on the entire book or 30 votes on this chapter

LUNAR CLAW PACK: ALPHA HUDSON

BRIELLE'S POV

I look across the familiar lake into the place I called home for seventeen years. I lift my nose and take in the scent of the trees and the water. How many days had I spent at this very lake, with my friends, my mate?

In the four years I've been gone, wandering around the world, I didn't think I would be coming back here. Not like this at least, running for my life. This pack is not a place of refuge for me, well I never thought it was. I ran away from it for a reason.

I step back into the foliage the trees and bushes offer. It's fifty yards till the territory line, then I have no control over my fate. I have no idea what I will say when someone recognizes me. Why am I here? I can't tell the truth and risk having the Alpha betray me. Goddess, knows he will.

But there isn't anywhere else I can go. The last place someone would look for a rogue would be in a pack.

I take a deep breath and begin my walk into the devil's territory. My hands shake at my sides with nervousness, my brow sweats with the hot Tennessee heat that I have forgotten about, and my legs are weak with the long venture I have had to endure these past couple weeks since I've ran from my mission.

All too soon I come across the bright yellow sign that reads, 'Private property, KEEP OUT. All trespassers will be subject to arrest.' I notice the barbed wire fence up ahead which is new. The Alpha must be having trouble with humans disregarding the sign.

The fence is tall but I have my doubts about its legitimacy. I haven't survived the past four years as a rogue by being intimidated by a simple fence. After walking along the fence for quite some time I find a small entrance where it curves around the lake. Looks like they ran out of fencing but were too lazy or broke to close up the last several inches.

I look at the gap and it's clear to me that I won't be able to slide through. Maybe if I was an adolescent then I could stand a chance. With only one option I grip the two sides of the fences and try with all my strength to pry them apart.

At least the Alpha was smart enough to make the fence in this area spiked in silver. Too bad for him I've come across more than enough silver in the past four years. This is nothing to me anymore.

Finally I create a gap big enough for me to fit through. I slide through then close the gap again, so no other unwanted visitors come crossing into something they shouldn't. At least I know what I'm up against.

Kind of.

I'm careful to be quiet and quick as I make my way through my old territory. I have to get to the Alpha before anyone can alert him of my presence. It's better if I speak to him first and try to explain myself.