Chapter Twenty-Six

dedicated to @JoeSuggsWifey, she's amazing.. she reads this story and my others, that's cool right?

Chapter 26

Joe’s POV

After Emma had called Sophia, everything went downhill. She was mostly in our room, pretending to be on her laptop, but I knew she was just staring at her instrument. Stroking it, touching it, trying to play it with one hand. She never played a very clear song, just some strings. I was getting desperate. I didn’t know what to do.

“Are you thinking about leaving her?” Bertie asked one day when he was over. I just stared at him. Is he crazy or something? I just shook my head. “Good, she needs you mate. Me and Caspar are her best friends, but that’s not enough. She needs you.” Bertie said.

I took a deep breath. I knew he was right. “I don’t know what to do. When I ask her how she feels she just replies with a fine. I know she isn’t fine but I don't know what to do. I even tried a psychiatrist. It didn’t work.” I mumbled.

Bertie just looked at me. “You’ve to try and really talk to her. Not just ask how she’s holding up. A deep conversation is the only thing that may help right now, I have to go but talk with her.” Bertie said.

Bertie said bye to Emma and left. He was right. I had to talk to Emma.

I entered the bedroom and saw Emma, sitting on a bureau chair, looking at her instrument. “Em, babe. Can we talk?” I asked. “Joe, I’m fine.” Emma said dully.

Something inside me exploded. “I know you’re not fine. Talk to me! tell me how you feel!” I tell her sharply. My tone surprised her. “Ooh, you want to know how I feel!” Emma shouted. I just nodded.

“I feel crap! I have this cello, my cello. My dream and I can’t even play it. I only can look at it. Joe, you don't understand because you don’t know how it feels. You don't know how it feels when you have to give up. When you don’t have another choice. I didn’t want to give up, but I had to because I was so stupid.” A tear leaks out of her eye.

“I was making money with playing. I had my dream combined with my job and now, now I’m just here. Looking at this and writing about how miserable I feel.” Emma said softly. “I’m so sorry for you to see me like this.” Emma whispered.

“Em, you’re the love of my life. I know you are, otherwise I wouldn’t have given you that promise ring. I will stay by your side forever. In good times, in bad times, when you’re sick, when you’re angry, when you’re broken. I’ll always stay with you.” I said.

Emma looked at me. It was like she just realized I wasn’t going to leave. It hurt, that she didn’t know. That she thought I would leave her. “Em, I love you and I’ll never stop loving you.” You added.

“I love you too.” Emma mumbled. I kissed her softly. It was the only thing I could think of. “As for not playing again.” I started, Emma’s eyes started to water. “Maybe you could write about it. express what you felt when you started, when you played, when the orchestra asked to play with you, when Sophia called you, when the accident happened. Emma you’re an amazing writer. You can relive the feeling again by writing.” I suggested.