Chapter Thirty-Three

Chapter 33

Joe’s POV

Tududu, tududu.. Why didn’t he pick up the phone? I hung up and called again. “Hello?” Sam finally picked up. “Sam, I am your best friend right?” I asked through clenched teeth. “What kind of question is that? Of course you are!” Sam exclaimed.

“Best friends don’t lie.” I said. “I didn’t lie to you, I swear.” Sam said. “Well, you didn’t tell me what you punched my fiancée in the face.” I said angrily. “Oooooooh.” Sam said. “That’s all you have to say?” I shouted.

“Mate, look. I’m sorry.” Sam said. “Why are you saying sorry to me, you’re supposed to say sorry to Emma.” I said. “Do you know why I punched her?” Sam asked, getting angry too.

“No, but you don’t punch women. Even when you’re furious.” I spat. “She said that I would rape someone if I thought the other person liked it too. You don’t think that she could say that, huh?” Sam hissed.

“Emma wanted to say sorry. You didn’t let her, you just punched her!” I shouted, defending my Emma. “Mate, she said I could be a rapist!” Sam shouted. “Sam, why do you think that Emma has such a low view of you?” I shouted back.

“You tell me.” Sam said through clenched teeth. “You are always harassing her. Now, I know that’s how you are. Saying sexual things to women, but you have to see that Emma is done with it.” I explained to him.

“So, you’re saying that I crossed the line and that’s why she slapped me and told me I would rape someone?” Sam said. “Yes.” I said relieved, I was happy he got what I was saying.

“Dude, why didn’t she just told me, instead of slapping me? She hit me good by the way.” Sam said. “I don’t think she could just tell you. You wouldn’t have taken it well.” I said. “I think you’re right. I’m coming over.” Sam said. Before I could reply, he had hung up.

“Em, Sam is coming over.” I shouted. “Okay, I’ll leave!” Emma shouted back. “No, I think he wants to apologize to you.” I shouted. “Ooh, I’m not sure, I don’t know if I can forgive him already. He punched me. I have a book presentation in a twelve days.” Emma said unsure. “Come on, Em. He’s my best friend. Give him another chance.” I said frowning.

I heard someone drop on the floor. I quickly walked to the kitchen. “Emmie, is everything alright?” I asked worried. Emma was sitting on the ground, broken glass around her.

“Em, what happened?” I asked worried. “I-I...” Emma said before a tear leaked out of her eye. I sat down next to her, careful not to sit in the broken glass and wrapped my arms around her. She laid her head on my chest.

We said nothing, but I just held Emma in my arms. After a while I heard the door open, probably Sam. Emma realized it too, I knew she did but she didn’t move. “Guys?” Sam asked.

He found us sitting in the kitchen, broken glass pieces scattered around us. Sam said nothing, but sat down on the other side of Emma and grabbed her hand. I knew, in that moment that Emma had forgiven him and Sam had forgiven Emma.