Chapter Forty

Chapter 40

Joe’s POV

As soon as that door closed, I knew something was wrong. I turned around to see Roan and Jared talking to my sister and Alfie. I had a feeling they were not just friends. There was more.

“And then, she slipped on the stairs and Roan caught her.” Jared said. Zoe laughed. Well, it was about Emma for sure. Emma was always clumsy, just as I thought that. I heard something fall in the kitchen.

Everyone looked up, but then continued talking. I was a little worried though. I walked to the door and tried to open the door, but Emma had locked it. “Em, open up please.” I said softly.

I heard something else fall, well. It sounded more like she smashed it on the ground. “Em?” I asked, even more worried.

No response.

I sighed and walked away. When Emma was in this mood, there was no way she would be talking to me. I went back to the living room. I sat down on the couch and tried to join the conversation.

“So, Joe. You and Emma seem close. How long are you already together?” Jared asked. “Uhm, for over the two years now.” I replied. Jared said nothing after that. “Did you know Emma and Joe are engaged?” Zoe said happily.

The two guys looked at Zoe. As if she was lying. I smiled. “Yeah, the 28th of July. Between mine and Emma’s birthdays.” I replied. The guys looked shocked. “I never expected Emma to be engaged at age of twenty.” Roan mumbled.

“I had missed your food, Emma.” Roan said grinning. Emma didn’t smile though. Something was up. “Yeah,  you have to make us dinner more often.” Jared said. “I will, I think.” Emma mumbled.

I looked at her. She was pale and looked tired. That was not Emma. “It’s late already.” I said. Zoe saw what I meant. “Yeah, I think it’s time for me and Alfie to go anyways.” She said and got up.

They said bye to everyone and quickly left. “We will go to the hotel we would originally go to.” Jared said, Roan nodded. “Yeah, I’ll see you both tomorrow.” Emma said and left to the bathroom.

“Is she okay?” Jared asked. I frowned, they also didn’t know what was wrong? “I’m not sure.” I said. I heard the shower turning on. “I’ll see you both tomorrow.” I said.

Yes, I was nice to them. I would hurt Emma if I wasn’t. She was my fiancée and it was my job to keep her happy, if that meant I had to be nice to her guy friends, I would do that. No matter if I didn’t like it or not.

I heard the shower turn off, a sign that Emma was done. after a few minutes she came out of the bathroom and slipped into a guest room. I heard the door go on a click, Emma had locked herself into the room.

I sighed, something was really wrong. She didn’t even want to talk about it. Had I done something wrong? I went into the bathroom and took a quick shower, after that I brushed my teeth and walked to the master bedroom.