Chapter 22

Elenor

Elenor

It's been a week and we still haven't found Anabell...it's also been a week closer to Christmas, which is only 2 weeks away now, there's no way I'm gonna be out of here by then. It's not that I don't enjoy hanging out with the guys but as I've said a few times now, I miss highschool. I'm supposed to be graduating in 6 months. My 18th birthday is in January. I'm probably gonna miss all that and be stuck here.

I mean, I'm sorry about Jeanette, Jason has been dealing in his own way, I can smell weed coming from his room the past few nights, I'm not judging though, I did it before when I was stressed, and considering what he's going through, he gets a pass. He's a gang leader, I'm sure he does it all the time.

"Knock knock."

I look up to see Jason at the door, I leave the door open now, unless I'm changing of course. "What's up?" I ask putting my book down.

I know, reading? That's all I have to do. Stop judging.

"Nothing, I just wanted to talk to you for a minute."

"Okay." I nod, making him walk over and sit on the bed. I sit Indian style, pulling my sweater sleeves over my hands. "Can I say something first?"

"Uh." He smiles. "Sure."

"It's about what happened at the waterfall..." I say, Jason nods and I continue. "Let me start off by I'm sorry...I-I just scared."

"Of?"

"My last relationship..." I reply. "Well, not even relationship really, I was his rebound. I ended up heartbroken."

"Elenor." He says softly placing his hand on my knee making my heart flutter. I slowly look up connecting our eyes. "I'm sorry you had to go through that...but I'd never want someone to be my rebound." He shakes his head. "I wouldn't want to get into something serious right away...Jeanette was the love of my life...my first love. I couldn't just jump into something."

"Jason. I completely understand."

"Don't get me wrong." He smiles, his beautiful white teeth showing. "You're very beautiful, but I can't jump into something. We could fool around and see what happens, but nothing serious right off the bat."

I give him a toothless smile along with a soft chuckle. "Are you asking me to be friends with benefits?"

He runs his hands through his hair. "I guess I am."

"I-I've never done that before."

"We can talk about it another time." He says. "That's not what I came to ask you."

"Okay." I smile. "What was it?"

He puts one leg on the bed so he could turn to me fully. "So, I know asking you this is dangerous." He stated. "But I really want you to go."

"Tooooo?" I say holding out the O.

"Once a year, always on December 15th, gangs come together for a ball."

I chuckle. "A ball? You mean like dresses? Tuxedos? Dancing? Maybe even Champagne?"

"Yeah, that." He chuckles. "So, would you like to be my date?"

"Hmm." I tease. "How would I love to see you in a tux."

"And maybe we can find the guy who makes the rules." He replies. "I've never met anyone who's met him before but maybe I can ask around."

I nod, smiling. "Sounds good."

"That's a yes? You'll be my date?"

I continued to smile, "I would love to McCann."

~~~~~~

Jason

"Your taking her to the ball?" James asked me. I nod. "Yes I am, considering your not on my favoritism list, I'm not asking for permission."

"Didn't plan on you too."

"I just came to talk about what you told Elenor the other day." I say. "I haven't had the chance because of all my missions."

"Okay." He shrugs. "Talk, I'll tell you what I told her."

"Which was, Anabell came to you all mad about some shit." I state walking back and forth in one spot. "And she promised you money if you did research on everyone I've ever met in foster care?"

He nods. "Correct."

"What about Jeanette?"

He shakes his head. "She asked me to do one on her, but I didn't kill her Jason."

"Then who did?" I spat. "Someone did."

"Someone did." He copied. "But it wasn't me."

"Do you think Anabell did?"

"I don't know." He replies. "The most recent file she wanted was Jeanette's so it's possible."

"What about Anabells file?" I ask. "She obviously didn't want you to do research on herself, so why did you have it?"

"I was curious." He replies. "She showed up at my door looking for you and all of a sudden she wants research on everyone you've ever met? I was curious so I did research of my own."

"She told Brandon she'd give him money too."
I reply. "She was lying."

"Elenor said you guys were partners in foster care?" He questioned. "Why would she want revenge? What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything." I inform. "She was just my partner. We kissed a few times but that was it, I never did anything bad to her James, I don't know why she'd want all the files or revenge on me."

"Then why don't you find her?"

"I've been trying." I say, raising my voice a little. "I went to her house and her foster mother said she's been dead for 2 fucking months! Which obviously isn't true." I spat. "She knows we're onto her so she's moving around."

"Want my advice?" He asked. "I say wait. Don't do anything. Once it's quite, she'll make a move."

"Why would you wanna help us?"

He chuckles. "She owes me money Jason if you've forgotten already."

"I just don't understand why she'd wanna hurt Jeanette or me." I groan. "It's so fucking aggregating trying to figure it out."

"Just wait Jason." He replies. "I know I haven't seen you in awhile but theres one thing I know, I know your smart and you'll do the right thing."

"How long do I wait?" I ask. "That's all I've done is fucking wait."

Which is true. I just want answers now.