4

I unlock the front door and walk through the void, entering my very quiet house. My parents cars in the driveway though, so they're probably asleep upstairs.

I lock the door and kick off my sneakers. Jane Keen hates when I walk with them in the house. I wouldn't want to disturb the fake peace.

So I learned that Hielee drives, but she doesn't have her student decal yet so her Mom takes her to school in the meantime. Having a friend with a car is gonna ring in some serious benefits.

She looks into me. She smiles at me like I'm the best thing she's ever seen. She has this really cute giggle that makes me squirm in my skin. She's just all around sexy and I like it. She's almost like a more contained version of me. Maliah isn't a version of me, she's just my better whole instead of a half.

But I'm happy Maliah wasn't brought up in our conversation again. I'm also happy that she didn't ask me if I was in love with Maliah or had any feelings for her. The whole falling in love with your best friend thing is so common I was expecting it. Of course I would've lied, but I have a feeling she'll be able to see through that one.

I'm hopelessly in love with Maliah, but I guess I'm appreciative of that fact that I can distract myself with someone else for the mean time. I deserve happiness with someone, I think. I'd be a good girlfriend.

I don't go anywhere so there's no worrying about where I'm at and shit. I don't have friends so I won't be talking to anyone. I'll be perfect just being me for once, but I'm not sure why I'm thinking so far ahead. I just met Hielee.

I guess I just don't know the experience of a having a potential someone. So this is new.

I walk up the stairs and head for my room which is down this long hallway. Harry's room is in the middle of my room and my parents. No one goes in there and I mean no one. I don't go in there because he died on that bed and the feeling you get in that room is sickening. It's like you can feel what he died of. It's like he's still there, still rotting away.

When he first died, I couldn't sleep. For some reason I just couldn't close my eyes and rest. I took a deep breath when he died because I knew from there out on things would change, but there would be no more stressing about him. He would no longer suffer. He would no longer be in pain. My parents would no longer be in horrendous moods for the most part. I would no longer have to come home and know that there's someone dying in the room next to mine.

I wonder if he misses me.

I open my door and stare at my little ass bed to the right against the wall. I have a dresser and a little TV on top of the dresser with my cable box. My bathroom is in that space between my dresser and my bed. My closet is on the left wall and I have a window dead center of the adjacent wall.

I close the door and drop my book bag, dragging my feet to my bed. I take my phone out of my pocket and I quickly pull my pants down and take my hoodie off. It's always good to be back in your boxers and shirt.

My phone vibrates and I pick it up. To my surprise there's two text messages from two different girls here: Maliah and Hielee. What a dream come true right?

I open Maliah's text first.

"Math: A,
Art History: C,
English: D,
Biology: D,
Health: D [seriously?]
Spanish: F,
Economics: F."

And now I suddenly regret opening her message first.

"I have all year." I replied.

I open Hielee's text next, hoping it's something better.