34

It's finally quiet, but that's because Eric got up and left again.

It's been the fourth time this week that he just gets up and go. No calls, no texts. Nothing. Whether it's after an argument or out of random, he leaves and doesn't say anything. My Mom doesn't bother to fight about it anymore. It's like she's turning into a mindless zombie.

It's probably depression and her shutting down. She's turning into what she was when Harry first passed.

My Mom won't find out what's going on, but I will. For her and for me.

I quickly step out the front door and lock it slowly. The truck is down the street at a red light. It's really cold out tonight, but this pit in my stomach and quivering in my chest isn't letting me feel much of anything.

I pick up on my feet and run once I make it out of the driveway.

The light turned green and the truck is off again. I can't let him see someone in a black clothing running from his side mirror. That's way too obvious, but some of the broken street lights are helping me blend in with the night and I'm lucky that there's any night traffic going on right now.

Eventually another red light stopped the truck. I remained some good distance away. I inhale large breaths of air. I didn't think about how far he could possibly be going. He could be going as far as work. I really didn't think this shit through. My legs feel like they're on fire. I didn't fucking stretch.

I look around. Counting the final seconds of the light before it changes. We're ... a little past Maliah's house? Probably three or four streets.

All this fucking running and I thought I was getting somewhere far.

The light goes green again, but the truck turns left.

Shit.

I wait for a few cars to pass and dash across the street. I quickly hide behind a mailbox when I see the truck actually parking a good distance away from me. It doesn't seem to be parked directly in front of house, but there's a line of houses. A small neighborhood I've never seen before because I usually don't go this far. He could be going into any of them.

Well at least I can catch my damn breath now. Who the fuck is he seeing so close to Maliah?

I peek behind the navy blue crusted mailbox. Eric gets out of his truck in casual clothing. The clothing he probably changes out of cause when he comes home he's in his work clothes.

He doesn't bother to look around. He's completely unaware I'm here. Then again why would he even expect this?

I see lights flicker on at a house a few feet away from the truck. It's a house probably half my size. It's half made out of cement and bricks it seems like. One of those real old school houses. I see a silhouette of a person at the door behind their screen.

The door opens. I can't really make out any crazy specific details, but I see clear as day a woman walk out of her house. Her front door is open behind her, allowing me to see her pajama pants and tank top. I can't see her face, but it looks like she's pointed in the direction of Eric.

He approaches the house and walks up the cement steps and into her arms. I feel my heart pound in my chest and it's not me coming down from hauling ass for a few blocks in the cold.

I can't assume anything. It's just a hug. Friends hug all the time, but I can't remember the last time Eric mentioning any friends of his being girls.

A truck of disappointment and disgust fills my stomach when I realize they've kissed. On the lips.

And just like that I began to hate Eric even more, watching the mysterious woman lead him into her homeI wonder if she knows he has a family.