9

"Do you need a ride to school?" Hielee asked.

I'm currently walking to the bus stop to meet Maliah. Hielee called as soon as I stepped out of my driveway, "No, its okay. I'm taking the bus."

"Its really cold out. Are you sure? I have no issue picking you up."

"Its always cold and I'm sure. I'll see you in school?" I said.

"Definitely. Maybe next time?"

"Next time."

"Bye Jax."

"Bye."

I hang up and shove my phone back into my sweatpants. I actually really want a ride since I don't wanna see Maliah's face right now cause all she's gonna talk about is Hayden. I also won't be surprised if she's gonna attempt to drown me in details about their conversation. God this fucking sucks.

I made it to school in one piece. No sight of Clay or Scooter, thankfully. I have no real energy to put up another fight at the moment. Its colder out today than it was yesterday so I'm feeling pretty stiff.

Maliah opens her locker and stuffs her jacket inside. Her hair is down, but she's wearing a black beanie and a long sleeve shirt. I stand by trying to keep my eyes off of her. This sadness is boiling in my stomach and dampening my mood. Not that is was bright in the first place.

She hasn't mentioned Hayden yet and I hope she doesn't. I also hope that she won't take interest in him after she really gets to know him. I hope for a lot of things, but that's my first mistake. Hope is just a damn setup.

"Jax?"

I quickly respond, "Huh?"

"Did you not hear me talking to you?"

"Uh ..." I stared. "No way in hell you were talking to me just now."

"Yes, I was."

"Well what'd you say?"

She sighed, "I was saying that my parents may have to leave again."

"That didn't take long." I said.

She shrugged, "Just thought I'd let you know. We can plan some more sleep overs."

I nodded, reminiscing how it feels to be wrapped up in Maliah's sheets, "Of course."

She closes her locker and locks it, "Ready to start the day?"

"Don't have a choice." I said getting off the wall.

She grabbed my hand when I turned to walk to class, "Are you sure you're okay? You've been acting weird since yesterday afternoon."

"Just tired." I replied.

She frowned, "You can talk to me, Jax. Please do if you need to ... okay?"

"I will."

Biology was boring, like always. Maliah made me copy notes down, but not an entire essay this time. Just small things that are important. We were learning about DNA and genes, but I was too busy thinking about other things like Hielee and how I have to get to know her better.

Having Maliah in my life for this long has really changed the way I work around new people. The idea of getting to know someone all over again isn't attractive at all. Its a lot of work and you have to actually give a shit about the person enough to keep you interested. It just takes too much time and dedication.

I've never really wanted someone else if it wasn't Maliah. Why would this time be any different?

"He's in this class with us ... I think I'm gonna sit next to him today, okay?" Maliah said.