16

After four long days of sleeping and trying to put a lid on all of my shitty emotions for Maliah, my vacation was up. I've never done so much work before. Maliah was on my ass, but she did help a lot. She's really patient, but at one point she was just like, fuck it I'll just do it for her.

Hielee hasn't texted me, like I thought she wouldn't. I knew she was mad. Now I have to confront her and find out why. Well, I think I know why, but I don't understand and If I have to hear about Hayden for another day I think I'm going to smash my skull in.

Maliah and I walk into school. I think I know where to find Hielee.

"I'm gonna go find Hielee. You can go to your boy toy." I said.

She punched my arm, "Stop calling him that."

"Defensive much? What is he then?"

"A friend with the potential to become more than that."

"A boy toy."

She walked away, "See you in class."

I roll my eyes and move the opposite direction. Holy shit did I not miss this place, but I'm not sure what was worse. Maliah made me do work and lectured me. It was like I never left in the first place. Then she spoke about Hayden and college and didn't shut up. It was like I was losing my mind without really doing anything.

I make it to the other side of lockers. I quickly move my eyes around, trying to find that lovely backside.

I felt a strong force bump me, "Move, faggot."

I already know who it is by the troll sounding voice.

"Why haven't you killed yourself yet?" I said to Clay.

He stepped to me with a smirk, "The same reason you haven't."

"Your breath smells like your Mom's pussy. You into that?"

I hear his knuckles crack, "You don't want a repeat of what happened last week do you?"

"What? When you needed your little shit stain to help you?"

"Jax?" I heard.

I turn my head to Hielee. Her hair is tied back and she's clutching her textbooks in her arms. She's just staring at me ... blankly.

"What's going on here?" She asked awkwardly.

I shot Clay one last look and backed away, "Nothing. Not a thing actually."

She quickly stepped to me and pulled on my sleeve. We started walking, leaving Clay to fuck himself.

"Don't tell me you're back already getting into a fight." She said.

I shrugged, "He started it, but I was looking for you ... I wanted to talk."

She let go of my sleeve, "About?"

"Why you were upset the day you dropped me off."

She denied it, "I wasn't upset."

"Then why did you get all blah on me?"

"I didn't."

And I thought Maliah was stubborn.

"Okay ... well ... do you wanna hang out later?" I asked softly.

She came to a sudden stop and looked up at me. I shove my hands in my pockets out of not knowing what to do with them. I really hope she says yes. I need fresh air and fresh conversation.

She spoke dryly, "Sure."

I responded sadly, "You don't sound like you wanna hang out ..."

"Guess I'm just going through something ..."