13

I open the gates to hell and walk through. Maliah had to come in early for a reason I can't remember because she called me around six in the morning and I was half asleep. I managed to catch the bus though, which is a great thing. For once my feet aren't ice cubes and I can actually feel my face.

I walk past everyone and spot Clay with someone whose just as ugly as him. I turn my face in avoidance. I don't need his shit right now.

I peer around the corner into the hallway of our lockers. I see Maliah with her hair down almost immediately, but then I also notice Hayden is approaching her from a short distance. He looks a little creepy if I'm being honest, jealous and fucking bitter.

His hair is gelled back and he has on all black like he's apart of some stupid greaser band that cries about their parents taking away their internet privileges. I hate him.

She notices him and and smiles. He smiles back and pulls her in for a hug. My stomach turns with anxiety and pain. That should be me hugging her right now.

My legs move on their own. I really don't even want my morning hug anymore. I really just wanna turn around and run, but it's too late for that. As soon as they pulled away Maliah looked in my direction.

"Hey, are you okay?" She asked quietly.

I nodded.

"Hm ... well Hayden this is Jax, my best friend. Jax this is Hayden." She said.

I force my eyes on him. He smiles at me and holds his big ass hand out.

"Nice to finally meet you. I've heard a lot about you man." He said. His teeth are straight, his head is kinda big and square, but he's also a big guy. His voice is deep of course.

I looked over at Maliah, "You talk about me?"

She gives me that look and forces a smile, "Yes. Now introduce yourself."

I frown inside and switch back to Hayden, "Yeah, same."

He puts his hand back down at his side and gives me an awkward smile. I know he can feel my anger radiating off me. No way in hell he can't.

"Well it was nice meeting you, finally. I'm gonna go meet with the boys by the vending machine ... get a little snack before class. I'll continue texting you alright?" He said.

"O-Oh, yeah. I'll see you later?" Maliah replied.

He smirked, "My day wouldn't be complete if I didn't."

I turn my head away a little and roll my eyes. That was so fucking gag inducing. I feel a sharp pain in my arm and wince.

I scoffed, "The fuck was that for?"

She spoke sharply, "You know what that was for. I know you don't like people, but you need to at least try. I like him and he likes me. I don't need you scaring him off."

"Wow. So I'm scary now?"

She rolled her eyes, "That's not what I meant."

"If he can't handle me then does he really like you?"

Her facial expression grew darker, "That's not the point, Jax. Don't ruin this for me. Seriously."

She walks off without me. I sigh and lean my back against her locker, watching her storm off. She's probably gonna go catch up with Fabio and his snacks. Whatever. She'll never understand how hard it is ... to watch someone you love like someone else.

"Just the delinquent I was looking for." I heard a few steps away.

I turn my head to Laurie. Fuck. My detention. That I didn't attend ... and that I got written up for.