20

The rest of the school day was normal. Except my thoughts about Maliah and my angst to just kiss the shit out of her was tripled, but it was bare-able for the most part. Hielee didn't bother to approach me last period or even say hi. I owe her an apology and probably an explanation. I also haven't told Maliah that Hielee kissed me, but I don't see why that would be important now. I doubt Maliah is the jealous type anyway.

"So what's the plan? Why are we going to my place?" I asked Maliah.

"Are you forgetting that you ditched your house last night? Don't you think you need to go back home?" She answered.

I laughed, "Um, no.

"Um, yes. Yes you do."

"Then what? You going back home by yourself?"

She shrugged, "We'll see. Tomorrow is Saturday. I'm sure your Mom would let you stay over."

"I'm not a rebound, right?" I asked randomly.

She laughed, "A rebound?"

I couldn't help, but to smile. It is a funny question, "You know, cause Hayden is intimidated by you."

She grabbed my hand and held it, "Nope. Plus my rebound would be another guy. Not another girl."

I shrugged, "Can't blame me for being curious."

"I'm a little upset you think I would do that."

"Sometimes we do shit without realizing ... we act subconsciously."

She squeezed my hand, "I'm not you."

I scoffed, "Here we go."

She shook her brilliant head as the conversation ended.

We didn't talk the rest of the way home. Maliah looked like she was thinking and I didn't want to bother her. When she's in her head she gets really focused and quiet. I wonder what's going through her head. Hopefully nothing too serious ... but its probably her parents coming home. And she doesn't know how long they'll be staying.

I unlock the front door and push it open for Maliah. She walks through, quietly saying thank you to me. I follow after her to see my Mom and Eric sitting at the kitchen table with their hands around coffee mugs. Eric has on his uniform and my Mom is in her favorite. Their eyes move straight to me. I stare back. They look ... oddly serious.

Like someone just died or someone got fired.

"Hi Maliah, it's nice to see you." Jane greeted.

Maliah smiled, "Good afternoon Mrs. Keen, same to you. I hope you don't mind me coming over. Jax and I are just gonna do some homework."

Jane smiled and waved her hand, "Oh please, we love when you're over. You're practically family."

"What's wrong?" I blurted out. "Did we interrupt something?"

Before answering me, her face changed. She shot an unsure look at Eric before her eyes came back to me. Now I'm little scared.

"Jax ... your father and I have been talking," She started. "For a while now. And we've come to a decision ..."

I spoke the first thing that popped in my mind, "Talking about what? Getting a divorce?"

"No," She answered. "Your father and I ... we're going to try for another baby."