12

Hielee grips her coat and stares up at me. I try not to let the cold phase me in this current moment. We left the party about twenty minutes ago and now we're in front of my house. It's one in the morning currently and I am definitely a little sleepy.

Usually I would stay at Chase's parties until super late, but it's not the same anymore. Being drunk and high was the main reason I even attended. Also, being an extrovert for any amount of time drains me.

"Thank you for tonight," She said. "I had a really great time showing you how to dance."

I smiled, "Glad it went well. You never know with these house parties, you know?"

"Yeah they're always super risky. Chase is a good planner I guess. I've never met anyone so organized."

I agreed, "He is."

"So .... I'll see you Monday?" She said.

I exhaled, "Unfortunately."

She smiled, "It's not unfortunate to see you."

"But it's unfortunate to be in school." I retorted.

"I agree with that, but ... still."

"Why do you like me?" I asked curiously. I need to know since no one ever has.

She answered with no hesitation, "Because you're not like everyone else here."

"That's probably the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me."

She shrugged and leaned against her passenger door, "That's not sweet. It's just the truth. Everyone acts like they're so happy and I just see a bunch of people trying to mix in and it's just a turn off."

"No I get what you mean. Everyone is trying hard to conform. Bragging about what college they're going to and that stupid shit. Trying to one up each other like it's some sort of douche bag competition. That school has always been filled with kids like that though. Nothin' new." I replied.

"Yeah the vibe is really dead. So when I saw you I knew you were just different. Then I saw Maliah and it confused me a little."

"Wait, why?"

She shrugged, "Maliah blends in with the rest of the school. So it was an odd mix to me."

She isn't wrong. Maliah technically does blend in, "Oh. Well, yeah. She does."

"But obviously looks are deceiving so that's good too. She's obviously not who she seems hanging around you."

I shrugged, thinking about her, "Maybe."

"Did you have fun tonight?" She asked softly.

"I did. You got me out of my comfort zone with the whole dancing thing. Its nice to not think for a while."

She smirked and folded her arms across her chest, "Guess I met my goals for the night."

I nodded with a small smile on my face, not really having anything else to say. I guess this is where we say goodbye, for now.

"Good night." She said.

I lean in and kiss her cheek softly, but nervously, "Good night."

She smiled and looked down. I feel this familiar fuzziness inside my stomach. Maybe I should get outta here before I do something stupid like kiss her lips. One kiss already went extremely bad afterward.