37

I kept a close eye on my Mom for the rest of the week. There were days where I'd catch her crying and just sit with her, letting her to vent to me. It's very weird listening to a parent vent to you about things you never thought were going through their head in the first place. There were other days where she was so busy accomplishing a bunch of different things she seem to have forgot about the divorce that's gonna happen.

I learned that this is actually going to go away smoother than I thought. Eric doesn't want anything to do with this house, he just wants his stuff out. Anything else he has here, like furniture or something, he could careless about.

I already saw his signature on the paper. For some reason my Mom isn't the one who hasn't signed yet.

Of course not once was I mentioned. I'm pretty sure he's happy that he gets to get away from me. He doesn't have to think about me or having another kid to support. The only kid he ever cared about was his son. That's fine. I never needed his support or his money. Never will.

You never need people who weren't really there for you to begin with.

"How's my favorite ginger girl?" My Mom asked me. "Haven't really seen her around that much. Is everything okay?"

Jane Keen is brewing coffee ... in the afternoon.

"Oh, Maliah. She's alright. Uh, just been giving her space." I answered.

"Again?"

I folded my arms across my chest and sighed, "Yeah. Things got ... complicated again."

She pours her mug of coffee and sits across from me at the table. I watch the steam rolling out of the cup. I scrunch my nose to the smell of the fresh brew. I hate the smell of coffee.

"How come?"

If I only I really knew, "I think she's really stressed out. And it's making things harder on her feelings."

She took a sip of her coffee, "And harder on you? You seem kind of down too. More than usual."

"I'm not really that mad or anything. I just want her to feel better so she can actually make the right decisions instead of hurting me over and over again. Its not her fault or anything ..."

"I see. Well I've said before you'd ultimately be doing the right thing - taking space. You should invite her over to dinner sometime when things aren't as bumpy."

"Well ... with everything going on ..." I mumbled.

She sighed, "I know, I know. I'm sorry. It's not fun having people over when a divorce is in process."

"Its not your fault, but ... why haven't you signed yet?"

She cleared her throat and waited a moment to speak, "My heart just hasn't caught up with my mind yet. That's all. Don't worry, Jax. Your father and I are done, but I did want to talk to you about something though."

I feel my chest tighten a little. More serious talks. There's been so many lately I don't think I can stomach anymore.

"How do you feel about this house?" She asked. "Do you love it?"

I shrugged, "Uh ... well I've grown up here ... its a big house. Too big now if I'm being honest."

She smiled, "Definitely too big now."