26

The first day back after beating the shit out of Clay was definitely shitty. The vibe was very heavy and time seemed to be going on forever.

I caught people staring at me; glancing over as if I was some sort of monster during classes and walking the halls. It was almost as awkward as when everyone heard that my brother died. I realized that me and Clay fighting doesn't make my "killer" image any better.

Maliah also wasn't in school today which upset me a bit. To be honest I was ready to suck it up and just talk to her, but that obviously didn't go as planned. Today was just an empty day. I didn't even see Clay or his brother.

I was expecting to get hunted down by a dean because of what happened, but nothing.

"Are you okay?" Hielee asked.

I shrugged, "Don't know anymore."

"I feel that."

"I'm grounded so uh ..." I mentioned.

She laughed, "Jax Keen on punishment? Last time I checked you didn't really have authority in your life."

I smirked, "Yeah I know. I kinda had a talk with Jane Keen. It was strange."

"I guess things are starting to look up for your family."

I shrugged again, "I guess. Its gonna take time to get used to actually having parents if she sticks through with this whole change thing."

"I think she will. So I guess you can't hang out since you're grounded ..."

I shook my head, "No. I have to come straight home, as the warden said."

She smiled, "Follow the warden's orders so we can hang out sometime."

"Not like I really have anywhere else to escape too. This should be a piece of cake." I said tightening the straps of my book bag.

"Are you allowed to text or did you get that taken away too?" She asked.

"No I can still text. I guess I should be a better texter now since I won't be out." I answered.

She nodded, "Well good. Wouldn't want you to die of boredom. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"See you tomorrow."

I walked away to start my lonely walk back home. Its freezing out today more than usual. Winter is really starting to hit. Soon enough they'll be snowfall and going to school super late will be excused. Or not going to school at all for that matter.

It was weird walking home and not being ambushed by the two fat trolls; walking without Maliah by my side, holding my hand. All of this is weird. I didn't think things would be this eerie and off. I got so used to her being mine in such a short amount of time and I don't know if I should feel ashamed or not.

I could barely sleep last night. It never feels right to go to bed mad at someone you love and it feels horrible even attempting. My eyes are burning. It feels like someone tossed sand in my eyes. I hope I can get some sleep, but I know how that's gonna turn out.

I walked into a empty house with an empty driveway. My Mom mentioned last night that they would be gone for work for half the day. They should be home soon. I guess I get to enjoy the house to myself for a bit ... even though I'd rather be at Maliah's; wrapped in her arms. Being smothered in face kisses until I drift to sleep.

**

I wash my dinner dish and fork.

This was probably the first dinner ever, where Eric and I didn't really exchange negative words today. I wonder if Jane told him anything about the talk we had.