5

I feel the hard buzzing of my phone next to my face. I force my eyes open and answer it.

"Huh?" I answered sleepily.

"Jax, where are you? You missed first period and I was waiting for you at the bus." Maliah said angrily.

I groan in realization that my dumbass over slept. It does feel nice though. Getting an extra hour or two under the belt is hard to come by.

"Sleeping." I mumbled.

"Get up and get here. We received a study guide for a test next week," She said. "And what were you doing last night? You didn't call me back or even text."

I sigh and lay my head back down into my pillow while holding the phone with my other hand, "Got into it with shitty Eric."

"What happened with you and your Dad now?"

"He's fucking annoying, that's what happened."

She sighed, "Tell me about it when you get here and please try to make it before second period ends."

"Mhm."

She hangs up. I slam my phone back down next to me, remembering last nights events. I'm fucking starving and my anger hasn't passed yet after a long night of sleep. Today is going to be a special kind of shitty.

After forcing myself to get ready as quickly as possible, I made it to school with another mark on my attendance. Another write up. Another meeting with my "guidance counselor" that's just going to be a major waste of my time.

There's only a few minutes left until second period ends so there's no point of walking my happy ass in there like I have a whole hour left. I wait for the bell to ring and for Maliah to walk out and hopefully decide to skip the lecture I get every time I'm late.

The halls are empty. Most classrooms are kinda sound proof. I remember the first time I ever stepped foot into this school. I remember middle school teachers telling us that it'd be different and something along the lines of high school being the best years of your life. So far I guess the only best part of any of this is Maliah.

The bell rings and I watch every door in sight open. I Now the halls are loud again. It was nice while it lasted.

I eventually see Maliah walk out in her black skirt and a black long sleeve shirt that's tight and tucked in. Her bag is hanging from her shoulder, swaying with her slightly. Her hair is up in a bun and her eyes take me in. I can't tell her what she's feeling toward me right now ... guess I'll find out the hard way.

"Hey." She said stopping in front of me.

"Hey freckles." I replied.

She eyed me, "Are you alright?"

I shrugged, "Been better."

"What happened?"

"Got into the college topic and he tried to belittle me."

"Ah ... yeah," She nodded. "I can see where the arguing starts."

"Yeah ..."

"Guess I won't see you much until lunch." She reminded me.

I rolled my eyes, "Couldn't come fast enough."

She steps into me and gives me a hug. I hug her back, wrapping my arms around her lower back. She smells so good. She instantly makes me feel better without even trying.

"Go to class." She said softly pulling out of my hold.

Before I can reply to her, she says something else, "I mean it, Jax."