6

I hold on to my book bag straps as I stroll to last period. The bell rang a few seconds ago so the hall is getting filled fast. I don't want to be next to Maliah right now especially because she's hiding things from me. There's no need to run to my guidance counselor for anything about me, too.

She never told me about Laurie being her counselor. And what is she going to her for? Why is she keeping so much from me? I don't keep anything from her. Except for the fact that I'm in love with her, but that's entirely different.

I walk into class to see Maliah already sitting at our table texting. I move my eyes away from her and look toward the back of the room. Hielee is at her seat, flipping through her textbook. I eventually take my seat and lean against the wall. I don't wanna go home, but I don't wanna be here.

"Glad to see you're even still here." She said.

"I'm surprised since I'm terribly over protective." I retorted.

"What you did was unnecessary."

"So are the secrets you keep."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

I shrugged, "You tell me. I'm the one missing out."

"If you're going to be like this then I don't want you next to me."

I quickly get up and slam my chair in, "Then I'll be next to someone who does."

Hielee looks up then and her eyes immediately fall on mine. I walk to the back of the room to where she is and sit next to her at the desk. I drop my book bag down on the floor and sigh. If it was possible to burn holes through someone by just looking at them Maliah would have a million of them.

"Hey ..." Hielee said softly.

"Hey." I responded.

"So ... guess you're my partner today."

I shrugged, "Guess so. You don't mind do you?"

She smiled, revealing her excitement, "Of course not."

"Good ... cause then I'd have no where else to sit."

She nudges my arm lightly and looks back at her text book. I look at Maliah whose currently moving into my seat against the wall. She turns herself sideways like I usually do and stretches her legs out. If I didn't know any better I'd say she's only doing this to keep an eye on me.

Class started and I didn't adjust too well to being in the back. I don't usually copy down notes or anything so there was no issue there, but it was boring. I can't mess around with Hielee like I mess around with Maliah. I don't know her that well and it'd just be really awkward to do that to anyone else.

I've caught Maliah a few times staring at me. She wouldn't look away quickly like a nervous school girl would though. We'd hold the eye contact and then she'd look away. I can't read her expression. She's good at hiding how she feels, obviously. She's been hiding a lot from me and its bugging the fuck out of me now.

I'm supposed to be her best friend. I'm supposed to know everything there is to know about her. Why would she keep things from me? I hate being left in the dark. It just motivates me to not tell her anything anymore.

"So ... why did you come over here?" Hielee asked quietly, pulling my attention away from the back of someones head.

I eyed her, "Maliah didn't want me next to her."

"Did you get into an argument or something?"

"Something like that."

The final bell rings, ending the last class of the day. A few people get up faster than the speed of sound and barge out of the door. I look at Maliah, whose packing up her things. I quickly get up and make my way up the rows of tables. I hate her right now, but I don't want her to walk home alone.