Talk to me

Listening intently to what her children's head teacher had to say on the other end of the phone seemed to shake Helena's core. The news she was hearing and being told about her sons recent behaviour in class only made Helena gulp and nod as she continued listening to the head of both Billy and Nell's primary school. Mark watched with furrowed brows as Helena seemed to be shaken by this call in some way. He was watching her over his news paper and could see the concern and worry in her eyes. The pair of them were sharing breakfast at the house when the phone rang, and seeing the shock in Helena's face told him loud and clear that something was wrong.

"Ok, Thank you for letting me know I'll be over as soon as I can" with this Helena hung up the phone and placed a slightly unsteady hand to her stomach "What is it?" Mark asked folding his paper in his hands before getting up and moving over to her as she stood there so involved in her own thoughts. "I...I must go to the school, Billy has gotten into some trouble" her reply made him frown further and as her eyes met his he could see just how bad this might be. "Trouble?"

Biting her lip Helena shook her head. "This is all my fault, he's upset and I'm to blame..if I just..." it was as if she was close to burst into tears and for that reason alone Mark found himself pulling her into his warm embrace before kissing her temple sweetly "shhh, don't blame yourself whatever has happened isn't your fault" he soothed running his hands up and down the slope of her back as she hugged him back. A hug was exactly what she needed right now. She was thankful Mark was around to be the shoulder to cry on, not that she was crying this very second in fact she remained strong and held back the tears that wanted to escape her eyes.

"He punched one of the children at the school" she whispered sadly making Mark slowly and gently break their hug so he could look at her. "What?" he breathed completely shocked that Billy would do such a thing. Helena simply looked up at Mark sadly and shut her eyes in defeat "This isn't him, I know he's just upset about everything at the moment"

Mark lifted a hand to cup her face drawing her eyes to look at him again. His eyes were as warm as his embrace and his fingers were soft against her skin as he stroked her cheekbone softly "I'm sure there is a very good explanation to all of this....would you like me to drive you there?" his offer made her simply nod slowly before braving a small smile "Thank you"

As soon as the pair of them were in the car Helena watched as Mark pulled them away from her drive and out to the main road. She was thankful to him for being with her right now, the news of her sons actions at school had truly shaken her. Billy was a sweet and caring lad, wouldn't hurt a fly and just recently she had noticed a change in his mood and his attitude to life. She didn't blame him as nothing had been fair on any of them recently, she knew deep down that it must be this anger he has been building up but then she never thought he would go as far to harm someone else. She needed answers and from him.

Glancing over at the woman to his left Mark noticed her in a slight daze as she ran both hands up and down her baby bump as if deep in thought. He felt so bad for what she had been through these last months, she had suffered two heart breaks within the space of a year, found out she was pregnant with her Ex's baby and to top it off she had something wrong with her heart. Helena Bonham Carter wasn't the happy, bright and funny woman the world knew her to be. Now she was crushed just completely broken inside.

"Hel?" Mark's voice brought her out of her trance and immediately made her eyes revert to the side of his face "Mmm?"

"He's going to be ok" his words of encouragement only made her smile a half hearted smile before her eyes focused on the main road ahead "I'm sorry Mark" the sudden apology that came from out of the blue made him smirk at her from the corner of his eye "What for?" he asked interested on where this was going "For the other night, I shouldn't have yelled at you like that, not when you've been such a rock to me" her soft words touched his heart and she soon felt his hand take hers with one firmly on the steering wheel. "I just want to protect you Helena, I kinda of like you" he added playfully with a friendly smile towards her. He really was a good man, a perfect man some may say yet Helena couldn't really say she felt the same way as of yet. Maybe with time feeling's for him could start to develop. He was certainly patient with her, yet she knew her heart still belonged to the one man she was trying desperately to free from her thoughts. And she wasn't sure if that would ever change.