Chapter 7

I couldn't sleep. Thoughts kept me up, tossing and turning for what felt like ten hours, when it was only two. I check my alarm clock again; 12:05am was what it read. Sighing, I lay on my back, staring at the roof. Lying in the silence, all my thoughts caught up with me. The past week, I was too busy trying to keep Gracie sane and stable, I didn't even realise there wasn't any time to step back and think of the accident. I hadn't been able to mourn properly, because I hadn't been able to cry over the loss. Nothing had prompted me to cry, but now, lying in the silence, and knowing my best friends were just in the other rooms, I felt more lonely than ever. Everything caught up with me, and I felt numb. That is, until I felt a tear roll down my cheek, followed by plenty others. I stayed like that a while longer, until my clock flashed 12:36pm back at me. There's only one place I wanted, and needed to be like this. So, without thinking this through, I got out of bed and changed from my pyjamas.

I walked the empty streets of New York, only passing by some night owls, out clubbing, but other than that, only the roads were alive, as they always are. After all, this is the city that never sleeps.
I kicked a stone along the ground and watched my feet in my dark green boots take their own steps, my mind somewhere else. I crossed my arms to keep warm, my oversized white sweater not doing the job all that well. I didn't go to any effort for this. I just wore denim skinny jeans and my hair down like before. No makeup, at all. I didn't care what I looked like.
I smiled to the doorman as he held the glass door opened for me and I walked to the reception desk.
"Hi, welcome to the Empire. How can I assist you?" she said robotically.
"Hi, I'm here to see a friend" I said. She went to pick up the phone. "Oh, no, he uh- doesn't know I'm here. It was a kind of 'in-the-moment' type thing" I say nervously.
"Okay... I don't usually do this. But, what name?" she sighed.
"Moore" I said and she typed it into the computer.
"Room 3014" she said. I thanked her and headed to the elevator. I pressed floor 30 and waited as the elevator took me up.
I stood out the front of his hotel room door, now thinking that this was probably a bad idea. I knocked anyway. A minute passed before the door opened and he stood there, sweatpants hanging low on his hips, shirtless. I tried not to stare at his perfectly toned stomach and chest, and focused on his face. Which too had changed slightly. He had stubble along his jaw which I hadn't noticed earlier, and his cheek bones were more defined now.
"Hi" I sighed.
"Hi..." he said uncertain.
"Can I come in?" I ask, fidgeting with my fingers.
"Sure" he stepped aside and I walked in and followed him to the main area of the room. I saw a glass and a bottle of almost-full whiskey sitting next to it at the bar in the corner. I sat on a stool and poured myself some. I never was one to drink often, but if I were to get through this, I would need one or two glasses...

A/N:

Oooooo what do you think's going to happen with Sammy and Fletcher?

Do you like that Fletcher's back? Should he stay? Do you think/want something between them to start again?

-Misfit