Chapter 61

"Sammy... we need to go now" he said behind me. I think I nodded, I'm not sure. I just felt kind of... numb. He took my hand in his and we left the room, not looking back. I heard the door click shut, and I was embraced by a woman. The familiar scent of lavender made me cry into her shoulder, as I felt her crying into mine silently, both of our bodies shaking with sobs.

"I'll come back in two days with the gang, alright? I'll let you have time with your gran" Fletcher says to me outside the hospital in the car park. His mom left earlier, and my gran was waiting for me in her car. I was stood next to Fletcher's with him.
"Okay... I want you all there for the funeral. Have Gracie bring me something" I choked out. My throat was dry, and my face red and my eyes puffy.
"I will. Bye Sammy" he says, kissing my forehead softly and for a while.
"Bye Fletch" I breathe out. He watched as I got into my gran's car, and then got into his own.
"It'll all be okay dear. Come, we'll have some coco and cookies" she says, smiling to me. But it didn't reach her eyes like always.

Fletcher's POV

"Gracie, come on. We really need to go now" I say, checking the time again; 6:45am.
"I'm coming. Here" she says and hands me a bag, her eyes rimmed with red. When I broke the news to the guys yesterday, they all cried. Jedd had gone back to be with Sammy and their family when I got back yesterday. We were all driving up this morning, and the funeral was this afternoon at 1 o'clock. They were taking Dylan's car, while I was driving my own up. Simply because, they were all coming back earlier than us; tonight. They weren't staying the night, whereas I was, and bringing Sammy back when she was ready to come back. I would wait forever for that girl...

As I pulled up out the front of Sammy's gran's house, I saw the others pull up behind me. I grabbed the bag of fresh clothes and a nice dress for Sammy and got out, locked the car, and the guys followed me up to the door, where I rang the doorbell. The small, old woman opened the door and smiled up to me.
"Good morning, Fletcher. Come in. Oh, you must all be Samantha's friends. It's so lovely to meet you all. I'm Helen, her gran" Helen says as we walked into her lounge room.
"It's good to see you again, Helen. I'm just going to take these up to Sammy's room" I say.
"She's in the shower at the minute. Just leave them on the bed for her. Thank you, Fletcher" she says. I smile at her and take the stairs two at a time and walked to the third door on the right; Sammy's room. When I walked in, I noticed it hadn't changed since I was in here last, back in eighth grade. The walls were still light pink, and the bed spread all purple. I could hear the shower next door running, and I resisted the urge to join her, just to hold her close to me again. Instead, I left the bag on her bed and joined the others downstairs.
"Helen, I think I'll take the guys to my mom's. We'll see you at the funeral though" I say to her.
"Of course dear. Oh, your mother's been so good to us. Such a lovely woman" she smiles. Her smiles aren't reaching her eyes anymore. It's sad, loosing her only son. She had three children; two daughters and a son. I felt so sorry for her. For all of them.
"Yeah, she's pretty amazing" I grin and kiss her cheek. "See you later, Helen" I say and we leave.
"She was so nice! Aw, I love old people" Gracie comments as we walked to the cars. We laughed.
"Come on, guys. We better get ready for the funeral" I sigh and get into my car. Jay joined me, and we drove to my moms, the others following behind.

"Fletcher, hurry up! You're going to make us late!" my mom called up the stairs. We weren't going to be late. It's 12:30, it starts at 1, and takes ten minutes to get there. I didn't argue, though.
I tucked my white shirt into my black dress pants and put my black belt on. I had left the top two buttons of my shirt undone, and put on my dress shoes my mom still had. Thankfully, because I forgot mine from New York.
"Alright, let's go" I sigh as I step into the lounge room. Gracie had went with a simple black dress with a white skinny belt and matching shoes, and the guys were dressed similar to me, but Jay had a dark blue shirt, and Tom had a tie on.
We left, me and my mom in my car, the others following behind me again.