Chapter 66

Fletcher's POV

I drove my car through the old town, Sammy singing along softly to the radio next to me, her hand out the window, moving slowly and gracefully in the wind.
"It seems so much smaller now" she commented.
"I know... Hey look, there's the primary school" I point out to her.
"Wow, we used to have trouble getting on the bars back then. I reckon you'd be taller than them now" she laughed.
"Probably. Everything seemed so much easier back then" I sighed.
"Agreed. We knew everything, didn't have to worry about bills, or work, or death" she said, looking out the window. "I wish we could just go back sometimes" she sighed.
"What would you do if you could?" I ask. She looked at me. "If you could go back to any age, what would you do differently?" I clarified my question. She thought about it for a moment.
"I wouldn't of let you go so easy" she finally answered. I smiled softly and looked to her before going back to the road. "I wouldn't of cut off all ties with you" she sighed. "It's the biggest regret of my life" she whispered.
I didn't say anything for a while, we just sat in silence. Then, I turned down the familiar road, and saw her smile reappear on her face when she figured out where we were going.
"Fletcher... really?" she giggled. I nodded and pulled into my usual car space, right out front of the doors. She jumped out and jumped on the spot excitedly. When I met her on the footpath, I took her hand and we walked inside, hearing the old bell ring above us. As per usual, there were some people dotting around the place, a truck driver at the long counter, sipping on a coffee while reading today's paper. Nothing changed.
"Hi, how can I help you today?" a young blonde asked, her hair tied up. I'd say she was sixteen, maybe seventeen.
"Hi, is Hamish in?" I asked her. She frowned slightly, and for a minute I thought he wasn't here anymore. That he sold it or something. Then she remembered.
"Yes, I'll go get him" she says and goes out the back. Sammy held my hand tighter and we heard some talking from the back.
"Well who was it?" Hamish's loud voice came through. "I'm busy. If this isn't important, I swear-" he says, coming out of the door. We stood looking at him, smiling. He stopped talking and the girl came out behind him. His eyes moved down our arms to where we were holding hands, and he beamed. "Sammy! Fletcher!" he exclaimed and walked around to us, hugging us together like always. "Oh, please tell me you're holding hands because you're together, not just to give me a heart attack" he says, stepping back.
"No, Hame. We're together again" Sammy beamed up at me.
"Well then. Sit down! Please! I'll get the usual for you. Without the spilt coke this time" he says and returns to the back kitchen. I led Sammy by the hand to our old booth and we slipped into it. My hands immediately found the engravement on the wooden table, same time as hers, so we were sat across from each other, hands together on our old engravement, grinning like fools at each other.
This moment right here, is absolute perfection.