Chapter 64

"We leave here today, remembering George in the good times, not the bad. Thank you all for coming" the reverent smiled and everyone began to make their way out.

"Samantha, you need to come with me for the will reading" my gran said to me when we stood with the gang.
"Okay... Can... can Fletcher come?" I asked, looking at him. Gracie looked hurt when my gran nodded, so I hugged her and whispered in her ear, "I need to talk to him about a couple things" and stood back when she nodded and smiled, understanding. "I'll talk to you all soon" I say and take Fletcher's hand, and we follow my gran to a room out the back, where my dad's lawyer, Steven Jones, sat at a table, papers in front of him. I took in a shaky breath and sat across from him, Fletcher sitting next to me, and my gran left, saying she wasn't apart of this.
"Sammy, I'm so incredibly sorry... I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this will reading for a long time to come..." he said, his eyes full of sorrow and sympathy.
"Thanks, Steve. It means a lot" I smile at him.
"So I guess we should get into this then" he sighs and I nod. "I won't keep you both and bore you with the technicalities of all this, so I'll just sum it up for you" he says and I smile gratefully at him, then look to Fletcher and squeezed his hand. He looked to me and lifted our hands to his face, kissing the back of mine before setting them in between us, rubbing small circles on the back of my hand while Steve scanned over the papers.
"Ah here we are. Now, the school is left to the Vice Principle to take over, but you of course, are free to visit whenever you wish. I've spoken with Mrs Fern, and she's told me that the Senior's Dorm building is being renamed after your father, in honour" he says to me. I smile, grateful. I'll have to give her a call later to thank her... "Now, for you, your father has left, well, everything" he said. I frowned.
"Everything?" I question. He nodded.
"Yes, everything. There is a large sum of money left for you, which he has been adding to since you turned thirteen. I believe, unless he's said something, that you are still not aware of this account?" he raised an eyebrow and I shook my head. "I see. Right, well, your father made this bank account under your name when you turned 10, and began adding to it when you turned thirteen. It was his way of making sure you were set for life, financially. I do believe, after contacting the bank yesterday, that there is a total of $25 million in it" he read off a notepad. My mouth hung open in shock.
"Twenty... Twenty-five... Million?!" I exclaimed and he nodded.
"Correct. Twenty-five million dollars. Now let's see... Ah yes, here we are. These are the bank details. You will need your ID to activate the account and to activate this cash card" he says, handing me two pieces of paper and an envelope. I looked inside it and saw a silver plastic card sitting in it. "Also, because he lived at his school, there is only one property left to you" he said and looked down. "Your family's Hampton house now belongs to you. There were a few assets as well, but they were unfortunately destroyed in the fire" he said. My eyes were wide.
"That's perfectly alright... I think he's outdone himself" I say, still shocked.
"I just need you to sign these papers and I'll get them to the real estate. It's just handing over the property to you, in your name" he clarifies. I nod and sign my name three times where needed, and we said our goodbyes before I left, bank papers in my hand, my other still in Fletcher's.
"Wow, Sammy. You know, you could probably get a place for your art gallery with that money" Fletcher says as we walked outside. I knew the gang would be back at my grans with the rest of my family, so it wasn't a surprise when we walked to his car and it was all empty. We drove in silence.

"Sammy, what's wrong? I know you're upset with your dad and all, but there's something you want to say and you're not saying it" he sighed as we pulled up at a red light. I sighed and lent my head back.
"Fletch, what are we?" I asked. He frowned.
"People..."
"No, what are we?" I emphasise, motioning between us.
"Oh" he cleared his throat and drove again when the light turned green. "Um... well... uh..." he stuttered and I sighed.
"It's okay, Fletch. I just don't know what we're going to tell the others. Can't really say we're friends with benefits, now can we?" I say sarcastically and we turned onto the right street. He sighed again and pulled into the driveway.
"I was going to wait for a really romantic, cheesy moment to do this, but I guess a car is good enough" he says and looks to me. Not taking his eyes from mine, he took my hands in his. "Sammy" he started, nerves taking over his features. "Willyoubemygirlfriend?" he rushed out. I almost misunderstood what he said.
"Fletcher..."