Chapter 59

Fletcher's POV

I was trying to drive quickly to speed up time, but I didn't want to be booked, so I stayed close to the speed limit. We were there in two and a half hours, when it should've been about three, and ran inside the hospital.
"Mr Dylan" I say to the reception. She raised an eyebrow. "This is his daughter. We need to know what room" I say. She looked between me and Sammy. "Now!" I yelled at her. She looked taken aback by my outburst, but typed on the computer.
"Floor two, room 207" she said. I grabbed Sammy's hand and we ran up the flight of stairs to the next floor, since the elevator was full.
We ran out of the stairwell and into the reception part of the floor. We walked down the hall that said 'Rooms 201-210', still holding hands, and we saw my mom outside on a blue plastic chair.
"Sammy, Fletcher" she said, getting up to greet us. She hugged me briefly and then pulled Sammy into a long embrace.
"What happened?" she asked, her voice scratchy. I knew she wanted to cry. I knew it, but I also knew she wouldn't. Mom's eyes softened in regret before speaking.
"There was a big storm last night. Lightning hit the boarding school, where the teacher's rooms are, and a fire started. Since his room was the highest level, he couldn't get out as quick as the others..." she says. "Not by the stairs, at least" she looked away.
"Mom, what are you talking about?" I asked, and I felt Sammy's hand go back to mine, squeezing it. I held onto hers like it was my lifeline.
"He- he thought he might be able to jump to the grass area-"
"Soccer field" I put in.
"Yes, the soccer field. He though he could make it there because it's soft, and he was only about 5 floors up. He miscalculated the distance, and landed on the concrete" she said and choked up. "When they put him in the ambulance, he was stable. When they got him here, I was told all of that and that there was blood pressure between his brain and skull, and they were going to try drain it. They're still in there" she said.
My mom and Sammy's dad had been friends for years now. Whenever he had holidays, he stopped by here to see her then went to wherever it was. My mom always told me how glad she was that he visited, because they'd been friends for a long time.
"Sammy, sit down" I say and pull her into a seat. Instead, she sat on my lap and curled into me, shaking like a Chihuahua. I rub her back and my thumb made small circles on the back of her hand. I gently kissed the side of her head and she rested her head on my shoulder.

Half an hour passed until several doctors and nurses left his room, then finally, what I assume is the 'head' doctor, came out to the hall.
"Mr Dylan's family?" he asked. We all stood up to face him. He sighed. That's never good.