Confessions

Chapter Song: Up in Flames-Ruelle
Italics=Gideon
Charlotte's POV

"Oh there's something you people don't know about time travel? That's surprising, isn't it? Considering none of you have ever time traveled before." I rolled my eye and prepared myself for another round of Rip's complaining. "Bringing a family member from the past onto a time ship. Breaking out and carousing around the 1970s. We've barely begun and this is already the worst, unmitigated disaster of my career."

As Rip turned to face us, Kendra got him with a good punch to the face and pinned him against the wall. "My son is hurt because of you. Who attacked us?"

"His name is Chronos. He works for the Council of Time Masters. My former employers."

"I thought you were a Time Master." Sara snapped and stood up. I followed after her.

"As I've expressed, time's not a linear thing." Rip walked over to us. "At some point I was, in fact, a Time Master." Sara cut him off by punching him. As he turned back to her, I used my left hand to punch him again. It wasn't as strong as my right hand, but it will make him get the message. "Will you people, please, stop hitting me?"

"Start telling the truth!" I shouted strongly.

Rip shrugged a bit before sighing. "I relinquished my position as a Time Master when I commandeered the Waverider. Chronos was clearly sent to bring me in."

"You lied to us."

"Of course I lied to you. I need your help. You all barely said yes as it was."

"What about the legends part?" Jax questioned earning a guilty look from Rip.

"I chose you all because, a hundred years from now, your lives have minimal effect on the recorded timeline. I needed your help without disturbing the history of 2166."

"Give me one good reason why we shouldn't kill you." Mick said, obviously going straight to death.

"Because Gideon wouldn't listen to your commands and you'd be stuck here forever." Rip said bluntly.

"Great," Ray said sarcastically, "so we're not an elite team of heroes on a sanctioned mission, sent to rid the future of its most horrific bad guy. Just a collection of nobodies who Time really doesn't give a damn about."

"I didn't lie about the mission itself. Or the brutality and ruthlessness of Savage. Or my need for your help."

"I don't imagine your the kind of guy who quits his job and takes on this kind of threat for altruistic reasons, so Rip, why don't you tell us: what did Vandal Savage do to you?"

Rip closed his eyes and shook his head. Almost as if he was replaying a horrible memory. Something that happened to me often. "Time Masters discourage marriage. They urge against procreation even more. A Time Master should be feee of any personal entanglements that might compromise him. But...I fell in love and we had a child. A boy. Jonas. Savage slaughtered my family. And thousands of other families. And the body that I swore an oath to serve turned a blind eye. Thy continue to turn a blind eye. I won't. The last thing that my child saw in this world was that monster's face. You can be damn well sure that when Savage dies, the last face he sees will be mine. I understand, given the circumstances, if you wish to return home. We can make the jump once the repairs are done, if and when Professor Boardman stabilizes."

~🕑~

I knocked on Rip's office door as he was preparing to make repairs on the ship. He looked up for a second before looking back down at his tools again. "What is it Ms. Thomson?"

I crossed my arms over my chest and walked into the room. "Please, call me Charlotte. You're making me feel old."

"What did you need, Ms. Thom....Charlotte?"

"I just wanted to let you know that I will be staying."

Rip dropped his tool before he was able to put it in the bag and gave me a look. He looked confused and relieved all at the same time. "Why? I just told you that the world won't care if you die and yet your staying with me. Why?"

"Well, I was a nobody before. It won't really make a difference"

"Yes," Rip shot up and walked towards me "but you could go back to a normal life if you wanted to. So, again I ask, why?"

"I...I know what it's like to lose family." Rip gave me a confused look and I immediately knew what he was thinking. "Even though I was a science experiment, I did still have family. I grew up a normal life until I was 4, then my parents gave me away to ESAM laboratory so they could experiment on me. A few years latter when I was 6 , they brought another girl in, but she was only a baby. Turns out my parents had another kid and sold her to them. We both got older and soon enough, she died. She was only 9."

Rip had a look of pity and sadness across his face. I only had to look at his eyes to know he felt those emotions. "I'm so sorry Charlotte. I had no idea that you had any family besides Cole." I nodded in understanding and began to walk out of the room. "What was her name?"

I froze in place. She didn't have a name when she came to the facility. I named her when she was 2 years old. The name almost sounded foreign on my lips. I hadn't spoken it in such a long time. "Amelia. Amelia Jane Thomson."

"That's a beautiful name." I nodded with a sad smile. "And Charlotte?" I paused again. "Thank you."

"Of course Rip."

Hey guys. Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. (Jsyk ESAM is suppose to stand for Experimental Science and Medicine, I just sort of made it up on the spot).

Love ya😘
Bye.