Chapter 18

Niall made his way through the crowds of students, in front of the library. Classes were over for the day, and he really needed some time alone. Or to be more honest, time away from Cat.

Niall wanted to strangle himself. This whole girlfriend plan now seemed like such a horrible idea. Not only was Cat the biggest complainer in the world, but she never left Niall alone. Niall told her he had a big History of Magic test-a subject she hated-and would be spending time studying. He would get some alone time. And if he was lucky, he'd run into Liam.

The library was jam packed with students. It was the first week back, and everyone was given piles of homework. Niall only spotted one empty chair. Heading towards it, he realized why it was empty.

Sitting at the table, besides the chair, was Zayn Malik. He was someone who really intimidated the others, and really intimidated Niall. He was the last person Niall wanted to see, especially after he found out Liam had feelings for Zayn. But he would rather be stuck with Zayn then spend another minute with Cat.

"Hi...can I sit there?"

Zayn looked up at him, then nodded and went back to the book he was reading. He noticed Zayn had at least 10 books crowded around him, all about Divination.

Well that wasn't that bad. "You got a date tonight or somethin'?" Niall said before he could stop himself. He laughed and then looked at Zayn, who's face was like stone.

"Why do you say that?"

"Er, well. You're studying a little. Might be trying to impress someone." Niall hoped he didn't say too much. He always had a habit of talking too much.

Surprisingly, Zayn smiled back. He then leaned in a bit closer to Niall. "Can you keep a secret?"

Niall nodded, eagerly. Maybe Zayn wasn't as bad as he had always thought.

"Well, I do have a date. Not a date. But I'm meeting someone I like, to study." Zayn seemed a bit nervous, which was odd to Niall.

Niall's face turned blank, as he registered what Zayn said. "Wh-who?" He hoped it wasn't Liam.

"That's the secret." Zayn looked at Niall for a minute, right into his eyes. Niall shifted in his seat. He better not say Liam.

"It's Louis Tomlinson."

Niall let out a breath of relief. But then he realized what Zayn had said. "What? You like Louis?"

"Shut up, will you? ‘Don't need everyone knowing." Zayn scowled, but then looked at Niall and shrugged, smiling.

"Wow, Zayn. I would have never expected you to like him."

"What's wrong with him?"

"Nothing, it's just..." Niall hesitated for a moment. Should he say it? "I always thought you would like Liam."

Zayn stared at him, taken back. "Liam Payne? Why? He's nice, he's just...I don't know."

Niall sat back in his chair smiling. So Zayn didn't like Liam. That meant there was no Zayn in the competition. "Thanks mate!" He said, laughing.

"Thanks for what?" Zayn looked at him like he was crazy, but he was smiling.

"Ah, I don't know. Not hexing me." Niall playfully punched Zayn in the arm.

"Hex you? Is that really what people think I do?" Zayn shook his head. "Nah. You're cool, Niall."

Niall smiled. He never would have expected Zayn to say that. Maybe Zayn was just misunderstood. The fact that Zayn was quiet didn't mean he was stuck up. It just meant he didn't want to talk. He was actually really funny, and surprisingly, sweet.