Chapter 30

Zayn lay on the couch in the Ravenclaw common room, his arm around Louis. It was past midnight, and the room was in silence. They sat together quietly, just thinking.

"It's getting pretty late, don't you think?" Zayn was the first to break the peace.

Louis turned his head, looking up at him. "I'll leave in a few minutes." He then came closer to Zayn's face, bringing his lips to his.

Zayn let Louis touch him, but his thoughts still floated around in his head. Did Louis really like him?  Zayn couldn't help but think that way. He knew Louis was heartbroken over someone else. It made him wonder if Louis was just using Zayn. He did like Louis. He liked him a lot. But Zayn wasn't the type to let someone use them.

"Louis," Zayn began, pulling himself away from Louis. "Remember when you said you liked someone else?"

Louis sat back, and nodded. His face looked nervous.

"Well, who was it?" Zayn studied Louis's face, as he waited for an answer.

Louis took a deep breath. "It was Harry Styles."

Zayn ruffled his hands through his own hair. He would have never expected that answer, and wanted to know more. He knew he was being nosy, but if he was going to end up shagging Louis he might as well know these things. "Why aren't you with him anymore?"

That's when Louis's eyes turned sad; the deep blue turning to a mellow, paler color. "He cheated on me."

Just by the way Louis's face fell, Zayn knew it had really broken him. Moving closer to him, he held his hand and kissed him lightly on the cheek. "Do you still love him?"

For a few seconds, Louis didn't say anything. Then slowly, he let go of Zayn's hand.

That's when Zayn knew. There could never be a chance for Louis and him.

 Everything felt cold, as Zayn realized Louis would never like him the way Zayn liked him. Not if Louis was still in love with someone else.

It broke Zayn's heart.

But he knew he had to do the right thing. He couldn't let this situation turn him cold. After all, Zayn did practically love Louis.

"Louis, listen to me, okay?"

Louis looked him into his eyes, and nodded. His face was beautiful, and it made Zayn feel the way it always made him feel. This is going to be so hard.

"Louis, you need to be with Harry." Zayn's lips trembled. "You can't be with me. Not if you love someone else. You don't deserve to be unhappy."

Louis stared at Zayn, not saying one word. Zayn knew then, that he really did love Louis. He didn't care if Louis was with him; he just didn't want to see him so broken, so hurt.He loved him.

Calmly, Louis stood up, moving away from him. Zayn felt his heart break into an empty, shallow place. Without any words, Louis walked out of the common room leaving Zayn to himself.

Zayn sat there in the silence, thoughts of anger and sadness racing through his head. What would he do now?  He had never felt about anyone the way Louis made him feel. He knew he had done the right thing, so why he was he feeling so awful?

For the first time in his life, Zayn really felt alone.