1. hello, old rivals

d i v y a 

*

My morning always starts like this, late. I will always wake up late and raid my wardrobe to find a decent outfit for my college. I would either go to college in my worst outfit, (which is rare), or in the most exclusive outfit—there's nothing in between.

Today I feel like being in most confident outfit, so I had decided to wear neon green crop top and black skinny jeans, which had rips on the knees. I know I'm going to be late to college anyway for almost ten minutes, but still I decided to apply minimal makeup of mascara, kohl and nude lipstick. Come on, don't judge me—I'm always fashionably late.

St. Xavier's had always irked me when I was in my twelfth; I urged and worked hard to get admission in that college. Buzzing with the rich brats, scholarships geeks and the folks with sports quota, my college had been through everything.

"Amma, I'm leaving." I say as I jog through the stairs to the kitchen and pick up nutella filled sandwich wrapped in the tin foil. "I will be late today—I'm going to movie with my friends."

"About that," My mom emerged from the living room and placed her mobile on the counter and poured herself a glass of orange juice. "We're going to a dinner—Aarav, your father and I. When will your movie end?"

I munched on my sandwich and wiped the crumbs off my mouth. "I suppose by seven or seven thirty, I think. Do you want me to join the dinner you guys are going—no way, Amma."

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "See, this is the problem with you," I look at her. "I'm allowing you to go the movie with your friends and all I'm asking you is to join the dinner—it's with our old acquaintances, Divya. Come to home straight from the theatre and change your clothes—join us in JW Marriot."

I huff and nod my head. "The hotel is in Juhu right?"

"Yes, and I will pick the dress and leave it in your closet, wear that and some accessories right next to it, alright? Now go—you're already late to your class."

"See you in the evening, Amma."

*

"Honestly, the internship is taking all of my time, Vinnie." I say to my best friend, Vinnie Arora who's reading 'how to kill the mocking bird' in the library.

"I know right, but, it's the only pocket money I get, Divya—unlike you." Meera, the other best friend says and I roll my eyes at her.

"Shut up, Meera...your parents own the fucking companies around the world and the only reason they're not giving you money is to make you learn about everything—how to survive without being a rich brat." I say and finish the last article for the magazine company I'm doing internship for.

We three are presently in last year of B.A Mass communication and Journalism in St. Xavier's, doing our internship to gain knowledge—out of our college and the box too. We three had known each other since our eleventh and had been practically stuck to each other ever since.

"I'm kidding, Vids. Our movie plan is still on, right? I can't wait for tomorrow—It's finally the weekend!" Meera tells and I sigh finally getting off the hectic days these past two weeks had been.

"Finally, peace and sleep for good hours." I say, sipping my chai and finally hit send in the mail to the company I've been working—they had asked me to draft a article about the fashion week which held last week and I collected as much as information about the show and drafted it.

"Yes, it's movie time. I can finally watch Ranbir on the screen, aye." Vinnie expresses her inner feeling—I and Meera look at each other and shake our heads.

*

"It's boring, isn't it?"

I turn around to find Aakash Malhotra, the person who I don't like and talk to in my college. This guy gets on my every nerve. We never actually get along, and look at him, staring at me with a smirk.

"Your existence, isn't it? Yup, it's boring." I say and take a sip of white wine in my hands—which is untouched from past ten minutes.

"Quite feisty, aren't we there? I was talking about the party by the Mehta's." He says and stands beside me, one hand in his right pocket and the other holding the wine glass.

"Yup, now that you're here, it's ruined completely," I say and turn towards him, "please go away."

"What's your problem with me, Divya? We've been studying together from two years; I didn't even do anything to you." He tells me and I roll my eyes at his statement.

"Come on, Aakash, don't pretend that everything's fine between us." I tell him, placing my hair strands behind my ear.

"That incidence doesn't make sense, Divya—I already apologized for that spill on your dress." He said and I raise my eye-brow at him.

"Oh really...then what about that threat your girlfriend said on my face?"

"What threat? I don't know what you're talking about, Divya."

"That one when your girlfriend slashed my car tires and asked me to stay away from you—I didn't even liked you!" I throw my hands exasperatedly.

"What? I didn't even know that Bhavana would do this, Divya. I swear, I didn't even know until you told me." He says and I swear I feel he's telling me truth—his eyes are expressive.

"That's crazy, I-I thought you knew and you made her do that."

"Well, in the case, Divya get off your high horse and observe what's going on." 

*

author's note ♡

hola, guys! here's the edited and new chapter of this books! hope you liked the chapter and if you did -- don't forget to vote, comment and share! 

lots of love, 

- jaf. xx