Chapter 28: Ah, It's you

3/4 updates for today:

CHAPTER 28:

AH, IT'S YOU

                                      Nikolas couldn't remember when was the last time he took a shower in his father's house. It was the place he grew up in, where he found his feet yet he's been living on his own for over half a decade now. He rarely visited Vincent, since they saw each other every day in the company, but there were few exceptions here and there when he'd go to dine at his place.

Those weren't unpleasant times, but Vincent would here and there grab the chance to remind him about the classic he crashed whenever Nikolas would try to do something against his will and then it would be war all over again.

He sighed, enjoying the warm water falling on his face and washing away the coldness the rain left behind. He couldn't believe that he's ended up in that situation with the midget, and although Vincent turned on the heater in the car, he still froze to death and was sure a cold would follow. He could already feel the ache in his throat and could think of the worse time for it to be happening. Would he even be able to properly seal the deal with that other CEO?

Since Alis was drenched as well, she was showering in another bathroom with Hailey helping her, while Nikolas used the one that was in Vincent's room. He did tell him to do so and try to find some of his old suits to wear if his doesn't dry in time.

And just then, a picture of Alis showering, naked and all crossed his mind before he remembered her chest he saw through that white dress making him groan. He so didn't need to get a boner just before he was about to leave the place, but he couldn't really do anything when the thought wouldn't go away no matter what he tried to do. And then came more pictures, of him standing on top of her, of how he had her backed in the corner — on the wall, of how he kissed her in the hospital... Of how he wanted to kiss her again.

He cursed, he was acting like a teen. She was just a girl. Another girl among many he's been around, only he haven't had sex with her.

Yet...

The alluring thought of him sharing the bed, and not like the last time where he hadn't touched her, invaded his mind and he couldn't think of anything else. He wanted her badly, he finally came to terms with his own feelings but he knew that it could not happen.

He had, more or less, overcome his feelings for Ava.

It was there that he stopped. The face of Alis beneath him as he fucked her turned into the face of the woman he actually had in his bed. It took his breath away that he would think of something like that, that he would even imagine overcoming her or using his sacred memory that way. Shaking his head, he turned off the water before stepping outside and grabbing a towel. Drying himself, he stood in front of the mirror and widened his eyes. He had changed, he realized that he had changed. His mind drifted to how he was, to the time when he found out about Ava being dead, to how he drunk the hell out of it. To how he searched for her beforehand, over and over again, looking beneath every single rock in the world just to see her face again. The thought of Alis completely dissipated as he recalled the black haired woman he loved and was a coward to come to terms with his feelings. The nights they spent together, the days they laughed together, all those cheerful memories that now ate at his heart, the regret of having lost what he could have suffocated him and then came the most painful memory he had of her, the memory that could have made him the happiest man in the world.

The day she said she loved him.

And the day he laughed it off before rejecting her, as an idiot that would blow away his own flame of light in the darkness. He could see her reflection in the mirror, when she told him that she was pregnant, when he told her no and when her eyes teared. What he's been ignoring for entire month mercilessly attacked him from once and he could no longer take it.