Chapter 55: Storm Brewing

CHAPTER 55:
STORM BREWING

        SHE SERIOUSLY didn't know whether to laugh or cry as she stated at her own reflection in the mirror. It's already been a week since she started living in the rundown factory Wolf brought her to. Ever since then, he had taken her around the streets to get her familiarized with her new environment and she was even confident enough to go on her own and shop alone.

Of course, Wolf was still a bit hesitant to let her outside, especially when she finally become a "missing person" and quite the number of police officers searched for her.

When she recalled how one of them caught the pair by surprise and asked them if they had seen her while showing a photo of her, she was really questioning the meaning of her life. Seriously, the guy was holding the photo in his hand and asking her if she had seen her own bloody self while being unable to notice that they were one same person! How would that make one feel!

Wolf even laughed for a good hour when they returned home because of it and she seriously wanted to cry to death because of embarrassment. Who in the name of God could possibly say that they had that kind of experience as well?

But of course, police was looking for a seventeen old girl while she looked like a fourteen years old boy at most - they was no need to even get an idea that the two were the same people.

So for now, she was safe. She believed that no matter who comes looking for her, she will be safe. Yet little did she know, by sneaking a glance at a certain someone, she had accidentally managed to get his attention.

******

     Nikolas wasn't someone who cared about his reputation, but his father apparently had a completely different idea. What Nikolas saw as a nuisance, Vincent saw as a good stepping stone for his son, so he naturally wanted to make his son pave a good path for the future.

Their family always had two male inheritors from long time ago. One would deal with underground part of the family, other would deal with business. Being the younger son, Vincent was meant to simply be a CEO and enjoy the normal life. This is something that wouldn't be revealed to the younger generation until they were old enough to inherit the position and to avoid the conflict that could possibly appear between two brothers or cousins, they were separately trained and sometimes didn't even know about each other's existence. If only one were to take on both and kill the other, it would be a bug problem.

Although he didn't doubt his son, he still decided to go after traditions. So it was no wonder that Nikolas didn't know about Snake being his cousin and Vincent's older brother's son.

Nikolas would never had been involved in the whole mafia organization and wouldn't know about the other side of his family under normal circumstances, but ever since Vincent's brother have been murdered long ago and he was made into a temporary head until Snake was old enough, Nikolas naturally couldn't avoid finding himself in the crossfire between Vincent and his enemies.

So he was trained since young age in martial arts and weapons, after which he couldn't avoid killing those who tried to kill him. He usually would not provoke anyone nor try to retaliate against others, but if he was provoked, he seldom turned a blind eye to the other party. He clearly differed gratitude with vengeance.

But seeing as defending himself only brought more people who were backing the people he had already dealt with, he couldn't avoid building a notorious reputation on his own that even made some of members of mafia part of the family pay attention to him more than they would to Snake. Some even considered to nominate him as the next head, though no one really did so.